on 4 September 2017
I'm afraid I didn't really enjoy this book very much. Too much navel gazing and never really getting anywhere. I didn't warm to the central character and found him as frustrating as Veronica did. Not a book I would recommend. If you want a book on this kind of theme I would recommend "The Other Side of You" by Salley Vickers, a beautifully written exploration of love, sorrow, death dealt with in a much more profound way.
on 21 June 2017
A typically sparse, emotionally desiccated novel about history, action and reaction and consequence. Tony, a man of a certain age living and partly living reflects on the unremarkable nature of a life that has largely passed him by.
on 22 July 2017
A truly genius, entertaining and thoughtful book on memories, life, mistakes, regrets filled with a little philosophical-theoretical knowledge.
Well-balanced, lovely book for all to re-think and re-remember our lives.
I consider his Flaubert's Parrot a more appropriate candidate for winning the Booker prize.
on 22 May 2017
I started reading this before seeing the film. I didn't properly understand the film so read the book from the beginning again. Glad I did as now both the film and the book make sense. Highly recommended.
on 28 October 2016
Absolutely beautiful book.
on 4 December 2016
An amazing book that is gripping to the point that couldn't believe I was on the last page ! Loved it,magic.
on 17 December 2015
Wow, what an incredible book. Just wow. As soon as I finished I was on the internet to find out more, if there is a fan site for this book I would join! It's short, punchy, easy to read, mind blowing ending. Love it
on 11 September 2017
Could not put this book down. The ending did feel a bit rushed, perhaps because I was so invested in characters and events but it was a thoroughly engrossing look at memory, perspective and , I suppose, how innately self absorbed we all are. Highly recommended.
on 2 September 2017
This book was beautifully written, but I wouldn't rave about it. It is not a long book. more of a novella, and this I was glad of.
on 26 July 2017
OK, but got a bit confused with the ending and had questions that I couldn't see the answer to.