Customer reviews

Starry Night: A Christmas Novel
Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 December 2014
I was a bit surprised that I didn't enjoy this book as clearly the author has loads of fans and has written lots of books that people love.
I found the plot and the characters a bit unlikely, which was peculiar as I didn't think that when I read the plot synopsis on here and on the back of the book. Everything seemed to happen too easily and too quickly; so many secondary characters seemed to trust Carrie with incredibly important things even though they didn't know anything about her other than that she was a journalist.
In any other genre, I'd have said that the writing was suitable for middle-grade readers. I don't have any issue at all with simple language - in fact in can be very powerful if done well - but the tendency for characters to tell us exactly what they're thinking, several times per thought, to my mind isn't brilliant in a book for adults, even if it's supposed to be a light, sweet read. It lacked emotional resonance for me, but then perhaps I'm just a Nora Roberts junkie.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 December 2015
Starry Night is the 76th stand-alone novel by popular American author, Debbie Macomber. It is almost Thanksgiving, and while Carrie Slayton misses her family in Seattle, she is hoping her job at the Chicago Herald will further her career as a journalist. But so far, she’s been stuck in the society pages. When Carrie declares her intention to quit, her boss promises her meatier fare if she can manage to track down and interview reclusive writer, Finn Dalton.

Carrie rises to the challenge and is surprisingly successful, managing to get herself dropped at his cabin in the Alaskan wilderness. But welcomed with open arms, she is not, and an uncooperative Finn threatens to derail her grand plans. And when she finally gets her story, she faces another dilemma. Macomber is the queen of feel-good romance, and this one is no exception: a Christmas happily ever after is guaranteed. A sweet, easy read.
on 29 January 2014
This was a good easy read that was well paced and enjoyable but personally it was very 'stereotypical' of a female reporter who falls in love. I wish she had been harder, ruthless! I am a man and I wanted her to be a tough 'real reporter' which she wanted to be. She wanted the big break and had to threaten her boss to get it, too prove herself but having read the book I think her boss was right, fashion was the right place for her. The end was predictable and a bit to easy. There was very little 'conflict' and I wish the author had delved a little deeper into the characters. I also felt Finn was too soft for a man who has spend his life in the middle of nowhere. I felt in the big city he would have felt claustrophobic and frightened almost, but it seemed to bother him very little which I found a little odd but on the whole a generally average read which passes the time.
on 29 January 2014
I have read several of Debbie Macomber books, and this one did not disappoint. I read it at a time when I was going through a difficult time. This book is one of a love story, in which two people fell in love against all the odds. They live in different parts of America, live different lives, but come together through one hunting the other down. That first meeting made me laugh, that image will stay with me, it was hilarious. Life is full of hope, dreams, love and compromise. This book had it all, with a bit of a fun factor instilled in that story. Debbie Macomber really pulls you in to her books from the start, and I read this book quite quickly. Yes, it was an easy read but one that should appeal to others who want to try something different.
on 23 November 2013
WAITED SO LONG FOR THIS BOOK TO ARRIVE. IT WAS OK BUT NOT UP THE DEBBIE'S NORMAL WRITING AS I HAVE LOADS OF HER BOOKS. WILL STILL READ ANYMORE BOOKS THAT ARE WRITTEN AS SHE IS A GREAT AUTHOR
on 26 November 2015
Two stories in one, both rom-coms and not very taxing on the brain - are they ever. Gentle reads and full of humour - sometimes subtle, sometimes not so. I probably enjoyed the Snow Bride more than The Christmas Basket ( - although this was good), the characters were great - I particularly enjoyed Addie and Palmer - subtle comedy. The relationship between Jenna and Reid was good to see develop and Chloe (Jenna's mother) and Pete - well, this was priceless, I'll not give it away but I had a real laugh out loud moment.
Debbie Macomber writes several stories in a similar vein - easy but enjoyable reads.
on 28 May 2014
A nice easy read, nice to sit by the fire and just enjoy. Up to the usual standard and just nice for the holiday season.
on 11 January 2014
There are two short stories in this book and both are good but I must admit to liking the second one better. Reid is a moody Alaskan man who kidnaps Jenna when she arrives to marry a man she has only met on the internet. Circumstances bring them together & keep them that way when they are stranded by a snowstorm but that's not the only storm brewing !!! If you like chick lit then this book is definitely for you.
on 18 December 2013
I really enjoyed both these stories, Although they are ultimately romance stories, they are some truly comics moments in both books.
In The Christmas basket, the long suffering husbands of the squabbling mothers are ace. and in The snow Bride Addy and Palmer are a real pair of comic charmers.
If you enjoy light hearted romance with a touch of comedy, I'm sure you'll love both these stories.
on 13 January 2014
Although the ending was pretty predictable, the journey there wasn't. Finn is the sort of man that every woman secretly wants - the tough, capable sort with a soft side just for his partner. A good story with some interesting insights into Alaskan life & the complexities surrounding, not only living there, but also that of any long distance relationship.