Customer reviews

Format: Pocket Book|Change

on 24 April 2013
I read this straight after (STAR WARS: KNIGHT ERRANT, VOLUME 1: AFLAME) BY Paperback (Author) Paperback Published on (07 , 2011), you do not need to read the comic to read the book. There are some revelations in this book that are built in in later series of the comics. The main theme of this book is how over matched Kerra Holt is being stuck behind enemy lines. She tries maintain a balance between striking at the Sith Lords and helping people in there territories. The Sith Lords in this are fighting among themselves to capturing and re-capturing each other planets. The people of the planets have given up hope and just want to live out their existence. Holt finds some allies of convenience to help her, but even the mercenaries of this corner of space have given up hope. The story is ok with Holt being an ok character no specular, I guess this is to show how over matched she is, but I would have like to see her leaning new powers or at least taking on a Sith lord in combat, but no it is more guerrilla warfare and even that is pretty ineffectual. An on read, but really for Star Wars fans who want to satisfy their own chronology.
VINE VOICEon 4 July 2011
THE STORY:
Set in a whole new era (1,032 BBY) this book ties into the comic book series of the same name and tells the story of Kerra Holt, a Jedi alone deep in Sith space dedicated to bringing down the derranged agents of the dark side that rule there.

WHAT'S GOOD:
At first I was dubious of the setting of this book since altogether too many Star Wars stories of late have featured legions of Sith ('Legacy', 'The Old Republic', 'Fate of the Jedi' etc), in my opinion dilluting the potency of the Sith as antagonists. However, Miller has created a fascinating array of Sith Lords who are unique in their philosophies and characters and I found myself deeply compelled by the idea of a single Jedi simply trying to do as much good as she can with very limited resources and no backup. Also, many other reviewers have slated Kerra Holt as being boring, but I think the fact that she is just an ordinary Jedi (not the Chosen One or some darkly conflicted anti-hero) is what makes her story powerful. I had feared, like many others, that not having read 'Knight Errant: Aflame' (the comics which precede the story here) I would therefore find it hard to connect to this story. That is simply not the case, however, and Miller manages to provide us with enough information about Kerra's previous exploits without rehashing them (or ruining them for when I do get around to reading it!).

WHAT'S BAD:
This is Miller's first novel and his background in comics is obvious from the structure of the writing. He has not entirely successfully crossed the media divide and there's all too much of the 'skip a bit between issues and then recap it at the start of next issue' style of episodic storytelling which works in comics but not in a novel. Also similar to a comic series, there is very little real resolution to the story threads introduced, with Miller leaving them hanging in such a way that you feel like you are being manipulated into buying the next story to see if it all comes together there. Two other flaws which, whilst apparently minor, severely affected my enjoyment of the book were the under-use of the interesting Sith character of Calician and the fact that Kerra's bickering with Rusher is both constant and constantly annoying.
on 28 April 2011
I read the prologue one evening just before I went to bed and couldn't make sense of what was going on. Figuring I must be tired, I put the book down and went to sleep. I tried reading it again the next day and still found myself confused. The first chapter was little better and by the end of the second chapter I realised this would be a tough read.

I'm not saying John Jackson Miller is a bad writer. I just have the same problem with his style as I do with Matthew Stover's; it's very laborious, hard going and really rather boring.

The story felt like it was more of an introduction to the Jedi and Sith; making the point that Jedi are good and Sith are bad. This in itself is good because this book is set a generation before the Darth Bane novels so it would be a perfect starting point for anyone thinking of reading the books in chronological order.

However, I thought the plot was quite weak. What I mean is there didn't seem to be much of one. The Errant Knight finds herself on three different planets all ruled by different Sith Lords. The first planet is run by a deluded man who thinks he's God. The second is ruled by what appear to be autistic children. The third is ruled by a slightly more feasible character but one who didn't have much depth to her character. Nor for that matter did the main character. In fact the only character that didn't feel two dimensional was the mercenary chap.

Anyway, the book ended with the main character not having achieved very much and left me wondering what the point of the story was. The only things I can think to compliment are the action and fight sequences. They were very well written.
on 5 March 2016
THERE ARE THINGS in this life i hold so dear to my heart that i don’t know what i would do without them. Family, friendship, animals, books, the acts of reading and reviewing, and so on. Zooming into the books topic, i declare that I simply *adore* the Star Wars expanded universe. The stories have added so much to the original trilogy (as well as the prequels, and to a much lesser degree, episode 7) that, now, at the age of forty eight, even the sound of an incoming TIE fighter, or the legendary Millennium Falcon tearing itself apart to escape the clutches of powerful dark side users aboard a nearby Star Destroyer, sends goosebumps up my spine quicker than Han Solo can complete the famed Kessel run. I have been blessed recently by coming across some truly great EU fiction; books that can be classified as great science fiction, as well as great SW. Unfortunately, KNIGHT ERRANT doesn't do anything for me. Put simply, I found it chaotic, directionless, and difficult to read. Several times I found myself on the verge of giving the book up, but my loyalty to the franchise, and my belief in the famed logo printed on the book’s cover kept me going. Surely if a group of outnumbered, hugely desperate rebels can destroy three consecutive Death Stars, then I can finish a book? And so I kept going.

Set one thousand years before A NEW HOPE, lone Jedi (Kerra Holt) finds herself lost amongst the desolation of the Outer Rim, setting herself the goal of destroying a Sith Lord. We soon learn that Holt's intended target has a brother, also a powerful Sith, and that they are somehow at odds with each other (and that’s putting it mildly here, folks), and are hell bent on destroying themselves, regardless of the countless lives that will be destroyed in the process.

The book certainly gets off to an entertaining start, but the story soon gets bogged down in a quagmire of mediocrity, poor formatting (plea sure instead of pleasure...) and as i mentioned above, directionless story telling. It must be said, however, that KNIGHT ERRANT is a sequel to a hugely successful comic book, so the book itself may be an easier read for comic veterans that have access to that. I don’t have that, and so I am struggling.

I like strong characters, plenty of dialogue, with interesting and meaningful conversation in my books, and when it comes to SW i like to learn. Books that expand the EU do it for me, even books that don’t are still enjoyable, if they talk about legends or legendary figures, as long as the reader actually receives something in return for the hours of concentrated effort they put in, to absorb the tale they hold in front of them.

This book is a taker, not a giver.

I can’t really recommend this book to anyone apart from those fortunate souls that have read the graphic story based prequel. There are hundreds of quality star wars books in print, and more coming, so i don't really have any reason to recommend KNIGHT ERRANT over any of those. Sorry.

Three stars from me. I would only give it two and a half but we can’t use fractions. It’s funny how karma works.

Bye for now.
on 17 March 2012
This was one of the first Star Wars novels I have read. It was a good introduction and all round a solid book! Set in the the past, waaay before the films, it depicts a time when the sith were strong, and the action is set in sith-ruled space. We get to see various different sith, who have different traits and rule in different ways, so there is plenty of variety in the story to keep the reader interested. Not all of them are cruel (at least, on first appearance!) The main character is well fleshed-out and a lone Jedi trying to do good in sith territory, so you do root for her! All in all an interesting read and a good introduction to a different period in the star wars universe. In my opinion it beats the Darth Bane novels!

On a side note, the graphic novel of this has been released (there is a preview in this novel) but it is not as good in my opinion, so I'd try this first!
on 7 March 2013
Miller's novel 'Knight Errant' made a rather interesting read, but I can safely say that his work on 'Lost Tribe of the Sith' was more creative and gripping. Knight Errant follows a Jedi Knight across several Sith-dominated planets, and the novel is set around the same time as Darth Bane's reign (although there are no crossover references.)

I believe that this would have been easier to digest if it was broken down into several short stories, with room for the reader to "fill in the blanks" when protagonist Kerra Holt is traveling between planets.

Still, despite my criticisms, it made an interesting read and I'd definitely give Miller's other works some attention.
on 13 January 2013
It always surprises me that I have begun to enjoy the E universe stories more than the original trilogy. But that doesn't mean their isn't a lot of substandard dross within that collective. This story whilst not ground-breaking ! Does provide a different perspective from a lone Jedi trapped in Sith space. I suppose
the narrative comprises elements of a Jedi terrorist with industrial espionage.And dare I say it the Shakespearean matriarch led Sith antagonists add depth. I would buy and read this if you enjoy star wars .well written it provides a nice read with most of the star wars prerequisite artefacts and plot structure.
Originally a comic this early republic title has finally made the lead to the novel and as such is so much better. The characters within just come to life and give the reader a turbulent time where life is cheap, mercenaries even cheaper and of course the Sith rule all. Beautifully written, this title is one that really will satisfy the reader with great prose, some decent characters and above all else a great sense of timing with moments of high action and troughs of doubts. All in a great piece of writing from John and one that hopefully fans will clamour for more from. Great stuff.
on 8 March 2013
I enjoyed reading this book, exploring an age of the Galaxy far far away I know little of. The plot is enjoyable and original, and the only thing that kept me from giving 4 stars to this review is the main character, Kerra Holt. While I believe she has a lot of potential, I also feel that the author could have worked a bit more on her background, giving her more depth and working more about her background, about what really pushes her to do what she does. Worth reading, if you're a SW fan as I am.
on 2 May 2015
I've read around 10 Star Wars books in the last few months and this is the only one i've gave up on. I got 35% through it and packed it in, but I might be the odd one out! I found it a bit heavy going and hard to follow, the characters were hard to feel anything for and the story just seemed to trundle on, always staying with one element for so long that you lose interest. A rare disappointment in a great expanded universe.