Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 May 2017
An enjoyable read with a constant recurring message of, for once, how to lose weight with out gimmicks. Certainly put me in the mood to give it a try.
on 27 April 2017
Alison's books are light and cheerful great to cheer you up
on 6 November 2015
The story is a bit of a cliche but still very enjoyable. I do however think it ended too suddenly.
on 3 August 2016
Wow. My first taste of Alison Sherlock but definitely not the last. A fantastic feel good tale with plenty of laughs.
The Desperate Bride's Diet Club arrived through the post at the most perfect time for me having just started my diet I could easily relate to the characters and their situations.
The book follows the progress of five characters who, for their own individual reasons want or need to lose weight. Although our main character is Violet who is a size 20 unhappy bride to be, the story still moves around each of the characters so we get to see first hand how each of the characters are coping.

I had mixed feelings about the is book at the beginning, I found the first chapter so entertaining I literally laughed out loud I found myself thinking that Violets actions would have been something I could imagine myself doing! (sorry I can't tell you in more detail, otherwise it may ruin the humour for you!).

After the first chapter we meet each of the other characters in turn, we have Lucy, Maggie, Kathy and Edward. It was at this point I was a little worried meeting so many leading characters, as books like this I usually find I get the characters mixed up and forget who is who. Luckily this wasn't the case by the time I was just under a quarter of the way through, each of the characters had been developed so well that each character came into their own as they all had completely different backgrounds and reasons to lose weight.

I loved how the group all came together to help each other out not just with the weight loss but other personal and realistic problems too. Although the books was based around the diet club there were no quick fixes or fad diets the book really helps you to remember the only sensible way to lose weight is to change your eating habits and move your bum! I found that reading this book really helped to keep me motivated on my diet.

I really enjoyed the parts of the book where Violet goes to the Gino's Delicatessen, this is where I felt the authors writing was at its best. I can only imagine from the passion that comes across when talking about her visits and anything to do with the topic of Italy, that this must be a subject close to the authors heart.

I really enjoyed this book and I would definitely look out for future books by this author. If you are on a diet I urge you to read this to give you some much needed motivation and a lot of laughs!

A slice of Humour, A splash of romance for a guilty pleasure!
on 13 April 2017
First time i pick up Alison Sherlock book. Came across in Oxfam charity shop and not one i normally read but it appeal to me. I really can not put it down such a nice story of how a friendship builds and support each other on a mutual challenge. Defo be looking into more books by Alison
on 28 May 2012
Grabbed this book as I sat out to enjoy the sunshine on Saturday, couldn't put it down and was actually sad when I finished it on Sunday. A really lovely tale of 5 characters, bonding over their issues with their weight, and finding support in each other to change their lives. Really witty, honest and just the right amount of cheesy romance. I will be passing this book on to my best friends to enjoy.

Can't wait for Alison's second novel to be published!
on 18 June 2012
I enjoyed this. The characters seemed true to life - Trudie was vile! I liked the way the narrative was written from the view point of each of the five main characters and the way each character's background and their motivation for losing weight was gradually revealed as the story progressed. I found towards the end I couldn't put the book down. A great read. I look forward to reading Alison's next novel.
on 24 June 2012
This book is so good its about five overweight people who need to diet they go to slimming club and the leader Trudie is a complete bitch. Every word in this book is so true its one of the best and most enjoyable books I have read in a while. Its laugh out loud funny in places and an inspiration if your on a diet and a real feel good book. Its excellent.
on 23 July 2012
I bought this book not hoping for much, I am a massive fan of Jemima J and didnt think any book about weight loss would top that one! Oh how I was wrong!!!

From start to finish the book was witty, warming and just brilliant! It focuses on 5 different characters which to be honest, at first I didnt really like. I have read books before which has involved multiple characters and felt it just doesnt work as you dont get to know an invidual enough to warm to them. Well this book dispelled that for me. The author creates enough of a personality for each individual that you cant help love them all by the end!! I would say the lead in the story was Violet and while the others are just as amusing, Violet is my favourite (cake pinching and trouser dropping is what comes to mind straight away with her, ha ha)

I read the book within 2 days which is quite a doing for me (I am a mother of two, work part time and also a part time student)and I was really gutted when I finished.

If I could rate this book higher, I would! Its a brilliant book. Not sure a sequel would work to be honest but if there ever is one, I'd be the first to buy it. This is the author's first novel and I can't wait for more by her. Well done Alison Sherlock!!!