Running Like a Girl
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 June 2017
I've been running for about 6 months and finding it a struggle at times which often made me think I was perhaps just not cut out for it. This book has changed my attitude, I loved it from page one and found it totally relatable for the normal woman. On a tough run I find myself remembering the parts where the author struggles too and I think - she ran a flipping marathon in worse pain, KEEP GOING! A real inspiration, thank you Hemmo. 🌟🌟🌟
on 7 January 2017
I adored this book. Being an amateur runner myself, I completely relates to this book and as my subject suggests, I found it quite emotional. Very, very funny but also sweet and touching when Alex talks about her relationship with her father.

Whether you are a flirting with the idea of running, stark terrified of running or like me, already running three times a week, this is a must read.
on 16 May 2016
I was preparing to run a half marathon and this book was recommended to me as an inspirational read.

It certainly lived up to expectations.

I could relate to so many of the scenarios in the book and it really opened my eyes and inspired me to continue running, fantastic read.
on 20 June 2013
It's not often I find a book that I can't put down and this is the first for ages!! 'Hemmo' writes in a very conversational style, which is easy to read and extremely funny, as well as very moving at times and hugely informative. I read this and felt that even I could become a runner eventually - once I've healed the injury I can now recognise from the relevant chapter (and my other research, plus physio assessment). Maybe I won't go for marathons, but 'learning to run' has been on my To Do list for a while and I'm slowly getting closer to ticking that box...this book echoes so many of my own limiting beliefs constructed around this subject and it was a delight to hear how Alex faced up to her own demons and finally freed her running spirit. Even if you never want to be a runner this is a fun read and an inspirational journey.
on 29 December 2015
I was so happy to start reading this fabulous book and realise that there was someone else out there who thought exactly as I did about 'not being a runner'. The physicality of running, the public humiliation, the wobbling body bits and the fear that everyone would know that I wasn't a real runner - it was all in this book and after finishing it yesterday I pulled my shabby Brooks runners from the back of the wardrobe, fired up the iPod, updated my C25K podcasts from two years ago and got out there again. Alexandra - your book is an absolute tribute to you and your indomitable spirit. I admire too how honest you are about when you didn't run, and why. To cut a long review short, you got me back out there. Thanks.
on 24 November 2015
This book is a Bridget Jones takes up running type story. Its fun and inspiring to all the women who like me want to become a runner. Her personality comes across as very likeable and just the sort of friend you would want to help you stay motivated. She demonstrates how, with running, it can often be mind over matter when you feel you just can't keep going. A lovely book 👍
on 21 May 2016
Highly Recommend -- a great read, fun, truthful and offers excellent honest advise for all those who feel inspired to get up and give jogging a go - from what clothing to wear, through to underwear and footwear. A 'must' read for everyone!
on 1 January 2018
Would recommend this book to anyone thinking of running! Very well put together and has lots of information and tips
I'll be reading it again for sure
on 17 January 2015
First running book I have read, as a novice runner, It's full of hints and tips that I shall take with me when I start running more than 30 minutes/train for charity runs. Easy to read and gives you a good chuckle, light hearted a very enjoyable read. Highly recommend.
on 17 January 2014
As a runner I was recommended this book by another girl who was just getting into running :) I laughed out loud and loved how Hemmo wrote the book, just as it is for her - and a lot of us girls out there getting into running. I also appreciated the part at the back where she explained what a lot of aches and pains might be and other really useful stuff inculding nutrition etc. Well done girl :) and for anyone wanting to get into running you will be thinking of Alexandra when you are out there taking your first few strides, and you will be grinning!!!