Customer reviews

The Girl in the Flammable Skirt
Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 November 2017
Amazing short stories. They draw you in with well-rounded characters who seem to encapsulate the modern fairy tale. Leaves you thinking even after the last page.
on 30 December 2013
As much as this book has received positive reviews, it seems to have received just as much negative reviews.

I have to say, I'm on the fence. I read this book relatively quickly, it's a quick easy read. Usually, I find anthologies, or short stories take forever to complete because they're either too boring, or because they're easy to put down and forget about after completing one of the stories. With this one though, I found myself flying through the pages, and I have to admit...I did not hate it.

This is my second Amy Bender book, the first being that Maths teacher one (I hated it so much I completely forgot its title). It was such a terribly written book, with the most uninspiring character, and the most boring plot I have ever read. I finished it thinking I was going to hate her other book for sure! Even more so once I read some of the negative reviews on it, so I kept putting it off.

But I did not hate it. I actually enjoyed some of the stories (the mermaid/imp one was interesting, as was the hand of fire/hand of ice one). Yes, they were very weird and some were just gruesomely nasty and vulgar (such as the librarian with the dead father who has sex with every single male visitor that enters the library that day), but in my opinion, you can't read a short stories book with the expectation that you're going to love every single one written.

Overall, they were interesting, kind of witty, and enjoyable to read. The style reminded me a little of Andrew Kaufman's books, and I felt that she was making a concerted effort to copy his style. I love Kaufman's books, and only somewhat like Bender, so I will not sit here and say she's as good a writer or novelist as he is, but there's hope.
on 15 August 2013
this is a collection of very short and VERY quirky stories. extremely sharp writing style. one of the best collections i have ever read.
on 7 August 2013
Loved the particular sadness of lemon cake but this book was a disappointment. A lot of the stories had no meaning and made no sense.