• Heft
  • Customer reviews

Heft
Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 May 2014
This is a very poignant read. The writing style is straightforward and easily read, drawing the reader into the narratives. The author has a rare skill in her ability to write sympathetic characters, in particular taking stereotypes that are typically difficult for readers to like and making them complex and thoroughly likeable – an obese recluse, an alcoholic lacking social skills, a teen romance all feature along with more original characters, and all prove fascinating and understandable. The webs of relationships between characters form the basis of the plot and sub-plots, narratives for each character being developed and the connections between them gradually realised. The mysteries involved come to a head as the narratives finally connect, forming what I found to be an unexpected and surprisingly satisfying ending.
on 22 September 2012
Two loosely interlinked narratives here, one of a very seriously obese 58-year-old former academic, now house-bound (and his past relationship with a student and developing relationship with a house cleaner), the other of a 17 year old with a mother who drinks and suffers from lupus who has been transplanted from his local school to a very upmarket school across town - and who is great at sport but not at academic work.

I found that I enjoyed a great deal the sections dealing with the former academic, his loneliness and his difficulty in coping with life. This was all delicate and touching. The sections covering the life of the 17 year old, on the other hand, I found rather harder to relate to - rather than being unwelcome and uncomfortable everywhere all the time (which is what I would have somehow anticipated - and we do see a bit of discomfort in the rich environment from time to time), he actually seems to be welcomed in both his home and his new environments as he wrestles with his life.
on 7 April 2015
Heft introduces two very different male characters tied together by the mysterious female lead character. Although the book left me fascinated by the men, it answered little about the woman's reasons for her behaviour. The ending left me wanting just one more chapter and to know how the relationship between the two men would progress. Overall Liz Moore has given characters you end up caring for selectivity pitying them and wanting to shake sense into them.
on 23 January 2014
Not my usual type of read but went with a recommendation from a friend. I was so glad I did. This is an unfolding history of two unlikely 'friends' , and what became of them. This is no great family drama, rather an unfolding tale of hope, desperation and determination.
Enjoy it, I did.
on 31 December 2016
A well written imaginative story and I would read the sequel if there is one.
on 7 September 2017
good read
on 19 August 2013
W chose this for book club and I was surprised at how much I was drawn to the characters - to the extent that I was disappointed when the book ended as I wanted to know more.
on 7 April 2014
read this for our book group. We all loved it and related to the characters and their own personal stories. Easy to read and good for discussion
on 8 September 2013
A great book that kept me glued to the end. I bought it because I saw it and I liked the cover. I read the reviews and thought they could be right - and they are! It's a wonderful read.
on 1 November 2013
I loved this book - the character of Arthur Opp in particular was wonderfully drawn. It was easy to see how a seemingly harmless friendship could change his life completely and how he ate to consol himself and told himself he was happy - a great book that I would recommend to anyone.