Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 April 2015
This is the moving diary of a struggling teenager who gets caught up among drug users.

It is readable and it does help people to understand the dangers of drugs. Unfortunately it is a fake - it purports to be a genuine diary but is actually an artifice contrived to keep people away from drugs. I read it as a teenager and believed it was genuine. Years later I bought it for my children and read it again and found it completely unrealistic and mawkish. I did a bit of research and discovered it is known to be a fake. Think deception is the wrong way to educate people, even for a worthy cause.
on 15 March 2013
I'd heard a great deal about this book and figured I should give it a go. A hell of a lot slimmer than the books I'm used to and not really a subject I need much schooling in. This kinda snapped my heart in two. Normally I read these stories and think, "I knew someone just like you and they were insufferable." For once I felt myself connect with the main character, it was wonderful when she was happy and heart wrenching when certain things happened, (I really don't want to give too much away) You should read this, no matter your age. It's not the most accurate portrayal, nor the best written, but it's worth your time.
on 16 March 2014
Go Ask Alice is a memoir that follows the diary of a teenage girl during the late sixties. Everything seems normal at first, but that soon changes when she is enticed into the world of drugs. Her habit eventually becomes a problem, leading her to run away from home numerous times, before landing herself into serious danger.

Read more at: [...]
on 4 May 2017
Not too happy this copy still lists "Anonymous" as the author. Terribly written, but I'd recommend it for the cultural importance it seems to hold. It's an interesting glimpse into what goes on in the mind of Mormon youth counselors, I guess. I read the whole thing in exactly five hours, and I only read about three books a year. Ironically, the copy arrived in mint condition.
on 28 June 2017
A book that is 40 years old but still as relevant today, unfortunately. This is a must read for anyone with adolescent children or who wants to understand addiction.
on 21 June 2016
As a parent of teenagers this was quite hard to read. Having said that really enjoyed it. It was very sad though to see how a teenager can easily get involved with drug abuse.
on 14 December 2014
I don't like how this book is billed as non fiction. Other than that, I thought it was enjoyable enough! I can imagine that it is very relatable to many, although there are better books on its subject matter.
on 15 September 2016
Struggled to read this. Didn't finish or enjoy
on 24 August 2017
Great read, a bit weird. I'm very unsure if it is really a true story, maybe very loosely based...
on 31 March 2017
I first read this book as a teenager over 30 years ago, just as good 30 years on with a different perspective on life