Customer reviews

1,499
Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 March 2017
I really enjoyed this quirky, original book. For a long time I wasn't sure where it was 'going' - or where I wanted it to go. But I was ultimately happy with the outcome, and getting there was a pleasure. One of the best books I've read in a while.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 September 2011
In the late Victorian period two magicians set up a duel between their protégées enacted at the site of the magical Night Circus. But when the apprentices, Celia and Marco, meet, their personal feelings threaten to overturn the competition.

This is a dazzlingly inventive novel bursting with feats of brilliant imagination - and yet, at the same time, it feels a bit lacking in plot and drags on just a little too long. What really makes it stand out are the beautiful contents of the magical circus tents: the Ice Garden, the Tree of Wishes - these are depicted with a verve and sparkle which really ignites the text.

The characters are also quirky and original, but with real heart in the story that develops between Celia and Marco. Less enthralling, however, is the parallel story of Bailey and Poppet set a few years after the time of the main narrative.

The missing ingredient, I think, is the lack of plot: the duel is set up, no-one knows the rules, very few people know it's taking place, Celia and Marco don't know who their opponent is till about half-way through the book. This does mean that we sometimes lack a narrative pull, that what-happens-next feeling.

So this is a hugely creative and alluring book, with some stunning qualities. But the lack of a proper story off which to hang all the dazzle and stardust made it a four star book for me rather than a five star one.
on 28 May 2017
If you want something a little different, out of the norm, then this is the book for you. The character's were cleverly built upon. The suspense builds, I just thought that the ending needed expanding upon.
on 21 July 2017
An amazing story of magic, mystery and love. Erin Morgenstern's story kept me enthralled right to the end. A recommended read if you enjoy some fantasy in your life.
on 22 May 2017
A lovely book, a quirky twist on a romantic tale. Interesting characters and I WO

A lovely romantic story with a quirky twist. I enjoyed it. 👍
on 15 April 2015
I must read hundreds of books a year and this one is hands up one of the best top 3 I have ever read in my whole life.
Mystery, love, suspense, magic, sci-fi..... It has it all mix in the most fascinating and intelligent possible way. This author really knows how to deliver. I couldn't put it down so I read it within 3 days.
on 27 May 2017
Absolutely loved this book, didn't want to put it down but also didn't want it to finish. Such a rich imagination, I was completely entranced by it which was a lovely surprise.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 January 2017
It was a recommendation, and its fab! Great book
on 3 August 2017
A captivating story that took me in a great adventure to the circus. I prefer this circus to those of current times, where your imagination takes you on a fabulous journey. Lovely writing, lovely characters
on 10 July 2017
It is definitely a stand alone novel, and it was an intriguing read, sometimes I got a bit lost in the plot but it was easy to jump back on.