Customer reviews

Great book
on 3 August 2017
Brilliant character, love Jack Delaney,
on 16 November 2011
DI Jack Delaney returns a year after arresting Michael Robinson for violent rape. He claims he was innocent and that he was set up by the police. The blurb on the back of the book would lead us to believe that this was the central theme of the book but I felt it wasn't. There were also storylines of a body found buried in an old churchyard having died from a gunshot wound to the head and "Bible Steve", a homeless man, who quotes Bible verses and preaches damnation on the world, and is admitted to hospital with serious injuries not long adter he is released from the police station calling into question the competency of the police doctor, who is dealing with issues of her own.

In amongst all of these is Jack who is trying to carve out a life of domesticity with his pregnant partner, Kate Walker, and his young daughter, Siobhan.

I did enjoy this book but at the same time felt there were maybe too many storylines in too short a book.
on 4 October 2014
I gave up after about 70 pages. Each chapter made sense, but there was no link between them. I realised the various elements would converge later, but I wasn't sufficiently interested to persevere. I was put off by the opening, as I couldn't feel any empathy for the police detective. In fact I didn't much like any of the characters. This was the first book I'd read by Mark Pearson and I won't bother with his books again. I don't always expect great literature - a page-turner for reading on trains is fine sometimes - but I didn't enjoy this book at all.
on 31 December 2014
I found this book very disappointing in a number of ways. I had great difficulty in sorting out the story line and exactly who was speaking to who. There were a lot of irrelevancies in the book (eg: the short story that was being written by one of the characters - I don't know what this added to the novel), people description was poorly done and badly executed, a number of sentences were vary badly worded and some just didn't make sense. I managed to get to the end of the book with some difficulty and a lot of determination but couldn't say that it was a pleasant read, more an ordeal.
I expected a lot more from this author as he has worked with James Patterson and should have gleaned some techniques for that process.
All in all, this is a poor book, which is a pity because the idea was good, it just needed better execution - and a lot better proof reading.
on 20 October 2011
I had not read any others in this series (and did not even realise it was part of a series until I started it) so was not sure what to expect from this. The first chapter rapidly and explicitly shows the depths to which the main character had fallen, which might put some readers off, but made a very impactful start to the book. The following chapters jump about a lot and cover a number of different strands that only really come together later in the story, so after a hundred pages I still fealt like I knew little about the main character (or where the plot was going). However the story held my attention, and the interactions between the different characters worked well. The main character to me was just a bit too extreme to be a realistic police officer, and this 'Police procedural' seemed lacking in realistic police procedure, but still an entertaining read, and I will be looking out for earlier (and later) books in this series.
on 18 December 2011
I have never read this author before, nor did I realise that it was part of a series. I shall read the others on the strength of this book.
The plot can be a little complicated at times as several plots are running side by side, but it has an easy flowing pace to read.

The book is certainly worth a try if you have not read any others in the series
on 19 January 2012
I have read all of MP's Jack Delaney books and this one has left me feeling a bit bored?

I love books with reoccuring characters - Mark Billinghams Thorne is a good example of this - but like another reviewer of this has said - Jack Delaney is just a tad bit far fetched.

& until halfway through this book, its very confusing, too many different sub plots and jumps all over the place.

I can see why the author has done this (it does all come together) but by the end i had lost the plot so to speak and wasn't interested at all in the ending.

Shame as MP writes quite well - but this one, not for me.
on 6 May 2012
The basic story was good, but the writing was appalling - full of hackneyed cliché, awkward phrasing and terrible dialogue.

If you can get over this, it's a relatively entertaining read - gruesome and vivid descriptions of appalling crimes abound, if you're into that kind of thing - but as a piece of literature it's quite dreadful.
on 5 February 2012
I love the Delaney books and this one was no different!! Love the way Pearson sets a lot of plates spinning and brings them all together in the end. Great opening too where we get a glimpse of the Old bad Jack Delaney as he was before we meet him in the first book! Cracking read!