Format: Paperback|Change

I only recently read Susan Lewis book Stolen and usually I wouldn't read two of her books so close together. Her last book was a great read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although she falls into the Chick Lit genre, I think maybe she should just be put under modern fiction as her style of writing and the sort of books she produces are far from romance stories where everything turns out great.

In her latest release we meet Eva who is the main character in this story. I instantly felt sorry for her but also felt she was a little weak and that was portrayed really well. When her world falls apart we see her character change and this in itself made for a very turbulent book when it comes to real emotions.

The other main characters were Eva' husband Don, who if I am honest, never really warmed to throughout the whole story. We also meet Eva's sister Patty and her two adult children Livvy and Jake, as well as Don's daughter Jasmine. The two characters of Jasmine and Livvy were my favourites and throughout the book you see the development of them as both characters and people.

The story itself is fantastic. There are two major plot threads running throughout the story. One of them is quite obvious from the outset and the other is interlinked throughout the whole book. I can't imagine that either subject is particularly easy to write about but Susan Lewis has done just that, with remarkable compassion.

Although I cannot quite put my finger on exactly what it is she does, all I know is she does it extremely well. Her books are lovely to read and although not always the happiest of subjects, they are made real and heart warming. This book in particular I thought was amazing, it was so easy to read and although not always with the perfect fairytale ending, so enjoyable. There are many people who will have experienced something like the character Eva and can maybe relate to her a little. Although her character started off as maybe a weak and insecure person it was nice to see her progress as the events in her life forced her to change.

I would highly recommend this book to anybody. Not your bog-standard chick lit type of book, but thoroughly good!
on 27 March 2012
I have enjoyed Susan Lewis's books previously but I am afraid this did not do it for me. I found the main charactor, Eva, totally wrapped up in herself and what had happened to her in the past. The storyline resembled something out of OK magazine and I could not relate to it at all.Rather disappointing
on 4 February 2012
I really enjoyed the first half of this book, and felt it handled the subjects of loss, trauma, grief and betrayal really well. However, the author's over-excited use of co-incidence to not only solve the adoption mystery but also explain away the anti-hero's nasty behaviour as set out in the beginning of the book, meant that it ended with a completely unbelievable, sugary sweet conclusion.

For me it kind of missed a point around the issue of adoption, which is the conflicting feelings of guilt an adoptee feels when they meet their birth parents if their adoptive parents are still alive.

Still, quite a good read, if you can get past the annoying over-use of texts and mobile phone calls.
on 30 July 2015
I found the beginning quite off-putting. Okay, it's good to start with plenty of action but this seemed a bit much. I don't feel 'No Turning Back' is Ms Lewis's best work. It's a bit wordy, heavy on trivial detail, and the characters are a bit too wealthy and wonderful for my liking even though most of them have problems. However on the plus side there are plenty of intriguing goings-on. The book is a professional production with hardly any errors.
on 11 January 2015
I was really looking forward to reading this book. I enjoy Susan Lewis's books, but have to say I was a little disappointed and found this one a bit tedious. There were some lovely parts, but found her marital problems went on a bit long. I would also have liked to know more about her past when she was attacked. Who by and why?
on 8 September 2014
Have read many books by Susan Lewis and am sorry to say this was my least favourite. To say the ending was trite is an understatement and more or less totally predictable. Some of the characters were slightly interesting my least favourite being Patty who should have had counselling years ago. Very disappointing book for me.
on 1 July 2012
I started this book on Kindle a little while ago and then stopped, picking it up again and finishing it last week while on holiday. On the whole it was a good read, although I did find myself speed reading and skipping over what I felt were excessively descriptive sections. I found the first part of the book was better than the second half. I have to say I guessed what was going on in the beginning, and like one of the other reviewers thought discovering the adoptive child's whereabouts so close to home just a little unbelieveable. I have actually worked with someone who was trying to trace their birth mother and there was no way the emotions this girl was going through would have allowed her to slip into such a relaxed and sunny relationship with both of her parents the way Richie did.
on 21 February 2012
I am an avid fan of Susan Lewis and she never fails to keep me reading into the small hours! The storyliine is excellent - be warned keep a box of tissues handy I guarantee you will need them! One of her best I think
on 7 August 2014
Having been on long-term sick leave, and housebound following back surgery, I was looking for something to read to absorb me in something other than being laid low. Based on other reviews, I took a chance, and I was caught hook, line and sinker into the book. I have never read any of Susan's books before, but straight away I decided to look for some more. I have now read four, one after the other, and I have not been disappointed in any of them. A modern, contemporary story, its hard for me to tell you how the story goes, as several strong characters lives and situations are intermingled. I thought it might be complicated but not at all - they blend seamlessly in and out of each other. If you are thinking of buying this book, please go for it. You will not be disappointed.
on 1 March 2012
An excellent storyline makes this book compelling reading.
A realistic reflection of todays lifestyle , dealing with many emotional issues including relationships,fidelity and adoption.
this is an easy carefree read,and if you enjoy this author,I would recommend this highly.