3,446
Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 February 2015
Anyone thinking of buying this title must already know what the story entails, so I won't bother with that. What I WILL review is the physical quality of this particular edition.

I have just bought the 13th printing (2013) of the 1996 Folio Society edition. As usual, the paper and the cover are beautiful, and the slip-case is good and sturdy. The illustrations are in pen and ink and remind me of illustrations in children's books back when I was little, 60 years ago.

If I were to be nit-picking, I should say that the shape of the page is just a tad too long and not quite wide enough to be optimally comfortable in the hand.

The typeface is, it goes without saying, extremely legible and a joy to read.
on 10 October 2014
I haven't read this book since I was a child and had forgotten the story. Reread it as I am about to go and see a theatre adaptation of it and loved it!

The story is about the trial of an innocent black man following an alleged rape of a white woman and the resulting prejudices and injustices that are rife in the community. The whole story is told via the eyes of scout a young girl growing up whose father a lone widower is defending the case. I have to say he (Atticus Finch) is the real hero of the story, trying to raise his kids with the correct values of what is right and wrong, willing to defend an innocent person even if it puts him and his whole family in danger. A man full of wisdom and fairness.

The characters of this book are all very memorable. I am now wondering if this was the only book written by Harper Lee or if any others had been written? A true classic!
on 14 August 2015
Reading this in our book club after reading it several times in high school. I loved it in high school and I have to say I loved it again reading it this time around as well. It didn't lose anything with my 20 more years of life experience behind me. The characters were just as rich. The story was sleepy, atmospheric but compelling. A very powerful tale that will stay with you years later. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 8 March 2016
My uncle told me to read this book and my god I'm so glad he did! What a remarkable piece of literature... I started this late last night and am half way through already! Beautiful.. and I already have go set a watchman waiting for when I finish! Seldom do I keep books I've read unless impacted by their contents so much so that I would be lured into reading them again... This one I shall be keeping indefinitely!
on 25 June 2017
This book outlines the bigotry endemic in America
on 20 May 2017
A true classic of American literature. I've visited the Deep South and read other books about it but this brings to life the strains and snobberies that abounded, all seen through a child's eyes.
on 19 June 2016
I read this because of its status as a modern classic. It's a bit slow to start with but you soon get drawn into the story. The characters are beautifully written and the story gripping. It's definitely one I'd recommend.
on 26 June 2017
This was an excellent book. I could not stop turning the pages. It was also most unusual and refreshing. I. Outdoor have read moew
on 3 April 2017
I somehow managed to not have read this in my youth. Have now put that right & understand why this is a 20th century classic. Just brilliant.
on 29 May 2017
Its taken me years to finally read this & loved it.Will definitely read it again & thats unusual for me.