Customer reviews

The Tale Of The Body Thief (The Vampire Chronicles)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 May 2014
I didn't like it. The story was quite predictable and it was nothing original to it.
The same opinion I had about The Wolf Gift (The Wolf Gift Chronicles), the Wolves of Midwinter (The Wolf Gift Chronicles), Of Love and Evil....
All these books, by A. Rice, are rated with 4 stars out of 5. I trusted other people ratings and opinions, and I still regret it.
In my opinion, some of them should have been rated between 2 to 3 starts only.
If amazon publish in its pages only the favorable ratings, but not the critical ones. Then, how on earth people who rely in other people opinions & comments, are going to be able to make an informative decision, about purchasing the book or not.
on 4 April 2009
I always thought that the 'true' Vampire Chronicles comprised of only the first three books, and I overlooked this one completely. In a way I'm glad I waited years to read this as I read her other books when I was quite young, and being in my 20s now I can appreciate Anne Rice's writing much more.
The story of this book crosses the Globe, and features an excellent few chapters on the QE2 cruise ship near the end! The entertainment is non-stop, however Anne sometimes has a tendency to ramble on for page upon page of thoughts, but then this adds to the sense of self-importance and delusions of grandeur that Lestat has.

It is a shame that Anne Rice has chosen to abandon her Vampire writing in favour of more religious works, and that on her website she discourages her new readers from reading the vampire chronicles. I can sort of see why...her Vampire Chronicles (especially this book and the wonderful Merrick) are violent, filthy, dirty, mean, romantic, racy, apparently blasphemous, dark and also very very funny, and that is why they are so damn good!!
on 19 June 2013
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. As an Anne Rice fan I was inclined to read this book (which I had previously entirely missed out in my reading) but I found that from the blurb on the back I was very disinterested and therefore it took me ages to get into it. Once I did however I found that it was exquisitely written and captivating much as I have come to expect of her novels.
on 26 July 2017
Must be good as my son who doesn't really reads a lot is completely addicted to the series and has asked me to buy them all
on 9 March 2017
By far, one of my least favorite books of the series. It's far too heavy on the theology side for me.
on 17 March 2003
Since becoming an anne rice fan, it been hard to put nearly any of her books down, this is no exception!
Lestat after becoming a rock star and waking up Akasha and surviving, makes friends with David from the Talamasca. Then after the incident in the Gobi desert (i'll let you find out for yourself what happened), is approached by James Raglan, a former Talamasca employee but fired due to his theft and disloyalty to them, and asks if Lestat would like to become human for a week by switching bodies. How is Lestat to refuse this offer? However, Lestat under estimates James who takes away his supernatural body including his new powers aquired from the queen. How is a mere human as Lestat now is goin to catch James, a powerful vampire?
The story unfolds, drawing you in, into an adventure of skill and deception.
A must read for anne rice fans, i guarentee you'll enjoy it!
on 15 September 2003
After reading the first 3 books in Anne Rice's vampire chronicles,I had such a job finding a copy of the Tale of the Body Thief, but it was well worth the wait. I had to read later chronicles to keep me going, as anyone enjoying Anne Rice's vampires will tell you their world becomes addictive, but there was always a missing link.I found that missing link when I read the body thief, alot became so clear. So, as a fan of the vampire chronicles I would urge anyone thinking of reading them to try and read them in order. This an excellent book highly recommended!!
on 13 December 1999
I think that any serious Anne Rice fan will agree with me when I say that this volume of the Vampire Chronicles is fun and interesting to read, but definitely not as thought provoking and deep as her first two. But it's fun to see how Lestat deals with being human again, and the end is a little infuriating. It makes you want to chastise Lestat personally. The ability that Anne Rice has of getting you emotionally involved in her novels always amazes me, but this involvement has never been as intense as in The Vampire Lestat and Interview...
on 22 December 2001
During the past few months i have been simply enchanted by reading Rice's works! In the Tale of the Body Thief, Ann Rice left me stunned and emotionally moved. The way she can makes you glued to a book is utterly amazing! I literally could not put it down!
This book is another erotic and sensual book which i suggest any real Ann Rice fan should read! Many reviews i have read comment on what Lestat does to David Talbot at the end. I however i'm attracted to Lestat's evil and wicked character!
A must!!
on 8 July 2010
Why did I like this book so much? Why is Anne Rice simultaneously a literary genius and insane?
I shouldn't have liked this book, anyway; there were a lot of little things that irked me while I was reading it - but in the end, there I was completely engrossed again. Raglan is a kickass weirdo of a character (and her descriptions of his movements in the fantastically creepy lead-up to his introduction have stuck with me for half a decade now); she's still obviously a liiiittle bit too obsessively in love with her own Lestat, to the point the brattiness he (and she) takes such pride in gets annoying, but his first (re)impressions of the human world are, like everything Ricean, so expertly crafted and weirdly insightful that I ended up thinking of this book every time I drank orange juice for something like six months.
Also, he finally gets to have sex with someone! Or, you know, a lot of someones. Bizarrely, for an author whose entire oeuvre ooooozes unresolved sexual tension, it was deeply anticlimactic (har). Pages were flipped with a depressing since of Ew what do you even see in her, Eurgh he is SO OLD, Ugh you are supposed to be on a MISSION what is this, etc.
Also Louis was in it for approximately ten seconds, which is not NEARLY enough