Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 January 2017
This is a very good Star Wars novel, set before and during the events of the prequel trilogy. This book focuses on two Sith lords - namely Darth Plagueis and his apprentice Darth Sidious (aka Palpatine). Initially, the story explores the rise of Plagueis as a Sith Lord; and, later, it deals with the subsequent rise of his apprentice, who seeks to acquire unlimited power for himself. Throughout, these Dark Lords of the Sith put into motion their plan to conquer the Republic and enact the demise of the Jedi Order. As part of this, we discover lots of backstory concerning Palpatine - which, in the films, is often only hinted at. This book informs us of the insidious plots that underlie the events seen in both 'The Phantom Menace' and 'Attack of the Clones'.

This is a well-written and entertaining novel, and one that adds a lot to the saga that is the prequel Star Wars universe. The Plagueis character is briefly mentioned in the films, and is here fleshed out in detail. He's a powerful Sith lord intent on mastering life and death. If this character interests you then I highly recommend this book. But, just to say, as this story focuses on the Sith so there's little or no Jedi action, and not much by way of space battles ... instead it's about plots developed over decades and their fruition as political plans. This might not interest all Star Wars fans.
on 17 May 2015
An exceptionally written book, following the life of dearth plagueis the wise and his aspiring apprentice dearth sideous. This fills in the blanks off the run up to Star Wars the phantom menace, a truly revealing and enlightening look into the rule of 2, from master to apprentice. And the beginning of their master plan, to take over the senate, the galaxy. This book paints an exact picture of how the masters of the sith sowed small seeds of doubt, destruction and chaos to eventually full fill their birth rite, their destiny. To control the galaxy as master and apprentice............
This is an excellent STAR WARS book, I think the best I read ever. Below, some more of my impressions, with some limited SPOILERS.

"Darth Plagueis" tells the story of this extremely powerful Sith Lord from the moment when he became himself a master to his ultimate demise at the hands of his own apprentice (as described by Palpatine in "Revenge of the Sith"). I will not say more about the plot itself, but this book is very well coordinated with the events described in the Episodes I, II and III and also with some earlier books and comics from the Extended Universe.

The topic of the Sith is always very difficult to treat in all Extended Universe publications, but here it was done masterfully. Here we can really get inside the head of not one but two extremely powerful Sith Lords and what we see and learn actually makes sense (unlike in some other STAR WARS books).

I do not allow myself to read many STAR WARS books - in fact the last time I read one ("Dark Lord: The rise of Darth Vader") it was somewhere around 2009 I believe... But "Darth Plagueis" had such good reviews that I decided to give it a try - and I am very happy that I did!

Being an out-of-closet "Star Wars" fanboy (and proud of being one!) I hereby recommend this book with all my heart to all those who, like me, never fully recovered from their first viewing of the first movie in the saga, a long time ago (in fact in the 70s) in a cinema far far away... Enjoy!
on 19 November 2012
Of the last fifteen years or so there seems to be a Star Wars novel released almost once a month. Because of this there is sometimes the tendency for them to eg a little samey. Every so often though a Star Wars novel comes along that reminds you how fantastic the franchise is. This is one such novel. Although still present, there are not so many light sabre duels or intergalactic space battles. The battles in this book take place primarily in the arena of politics. Of course, this is where Palpatine is so successful within the movies. This book showcases his political savvy and cunning mind. Although entitled 'Darth Plagueis', this is ultimately the story of Palpatine, from his youth to the events shortly after 'The Phantom Menace'. It is the growth of his political aspirations and his development into a Sith Lord. It is a fascinating journey for the character.

No Star Wars novel really encompasses elements, ideas and characters from so wide a spectrum across the Star Wars universe. It creates a strong timeline following the development of the Sith and their effect on the galaxy from the 'Knights of the Old Republic' through to the build up to the events of 'Attack of the Clones'. The legacy of Darth Bane plays a prominent role and is referenced frequently. Characters from across the prequel series, the 'Clone Wars' TV series and the various novels and comics are featured and we gain a better understanding of many of them. The dissent slowly developing within the Jedi order concentrated around Sifo Dias and Dooku is particularly interesting; showing how these two come under the influence of Palpatine.

The downside of the novel is, unfortunately, Plagueis himself. Although most of his motivation and his ascendancy to the Dark Lord of the Sith is extremely well written and understandable, I can't help thinking that his title 'Plagueis the Wise' is a little bit undeserved from the perspective of this novel. Considering that ever since 'Revenge of the Sith' Plagueis has been referenced as this amazingly intelligent and wise individual, he seems incredibly naive to really believe that he can suddenly decide to ignore Darth Bane's 'Rule of Two' order so easily and that this would be accepted by his apprentice. If you can accept this naivety, however, there is perhaps something of the literary tragic figure about him. His conviction in his own beliefs brings about his destruction.

This is a great novel with convincing, fresh insights into many characters, some not so followed/covered in various Star Wars media before. The author has succeeded incredibly in portraying events from the perspective of the Sith.
on 17 June 2013
I have always been a fan of James Luceno. My favourite books of his were his Agents Of Chaos books in The New Jedi Order. I always thought the space battles in those books were really well written, fast paced and frantic just like the space battles in the films.

Darth Plagueis is a slower paced book. Focusing on the latter part of Darth Plagueis, or Plagueis The Wise life and career as a wealthy Muun and the beginning of Palpatine's rise to become Darth Sidious.

For a book that is entitled "Darth Plagueis" There is a lot about Palpatine, and his rise to power in this book. I would have preferred a more deep insight into the teachings of Darth Plagueis, More details on how he became a sith lord and more of a story about him. However we learn everything about Palpatine and how he became a Sith apprentice, and worked his way up the political ladder.

However it is still a good book with cameos from a variety of Star Wars characters and is still en enjoyable read.
on 29 February 2012
Being a lifelong Star Wars fan. The thing I love about the Star Wars universe is the commitment to continuity. This book goes back and provides the background information to Revenge of the Sith obviously, however it uses info from Darth Maul books and comic series, a brief mention of Jungo Fett's comic series, and even season 3 of Clone Wars (to be resolved in season 4).

I think this book is great and well written. Having said that I have two main problems with this book. The first being it tells you more of Palpatine's story then Plagueis. I can understand why this was done as Palpatine is the more recognisable character. The other thing is I thought this would give more background into who was Anakin Skywalker's father. Palpatine/Sidious did seem to hint to know something of Anakin's parentage on two occasions towards the end of the book.

As soon as I finished this book my head started spinning with possible sequels. One could be Count Dooku as the author has already touched on Dooku falling into the manipulations of both Plagueis and Sidious and the seed of darkness planted within him. The other would never happen but I would love for it too is the Force premonition Darth Plagueis has if Qui-Gon had taught Anakin instead of Obi-Wan. To the point where is saw Qui-Gon s the shatter point of the whole scheme to be eliminated at all cost.
on 6 May 2013
I've read a decent amount of Star Wars books, and I can safely say that James Luceno's 'Darth Plagueis' ranks amongst the greatest for me. There isn't a tremendous amount of action in this book; the majority of it is political intrigue and suspense. So, if that doesn't strike your fancy, you may not like this novel, and may want to opt for something a little faster-paced, like Drew Karpyshyn's 'Revan'.

This book tackles the question of, "who is Darth Plagueis?" and also deals with issues like Maul's origin, how Sidious came to meet his master, and what the cunning Sidious' eventual goal is. I strongly recommend this novel for any Star Wars fan, a fan of the expanded universe especially.
on 12 August 2013
We first hear of Darth Plagueis in the third Star Wars film (Revenge of the Sith) and since then fans have speculated greatly about this formidable Sith. Now James Luceno presents us with the untold story of Darth Plagueis the Wise.

The book quickly enthralls you in the Star Wars universe taking place around 50 years before the first film. We are introduced to the character of Plagueis and his master Tenebrous, both well written characters, and learn lots of incredible lore about these characters and the Sith. We are also introduced to the character of Palpatine, who appears in 5 of the films. This book serves as somewhat of an origin story for him as well, with the narrative regularly shifting between him and Plagueis.

The narrative is quite dark which works really well with the Sith characters, presenting a very unique Star Wars novel. Luceno excels with his knowledge of the Star Wars universe, completely immersing the readers in the world.
This all ties in really well with the prequel films, with the final act taking place parallel to Episode 1 (The Phantom Menace).

In turn, I highly recommend this book to any fan of Star Wars.
on 26 November 2012
This is the first time I have been so engrossed by a purchase that it feels almost a necessity to review it, in the hopes that uncertain buyers will be swayed enough to buy this work, and enjoy it as much as I have.

Astonishingly well written, and crammed full of so much detail that it'll be coming out of your ears, 'Star wars: Darth Plagueis' is possibly the best you could hope for in a Star Wars novel. The writing style does take a short while to come around to, but once you can wrap your head around the structure and complexities, the flow is excellent.

Despite thoroughly enjoying previous books I've read - notably, the 'Darth Bane' Trilogy, and 'Revan' - they felt somewhat lacking in their make up. The way James Luceno approaches this work is - in my eyes - perfect. As one would expect from the title, the story revolves around Darth Plagueis - AKA Hego Damask - and his commencement of the final stages of the 'Grand Plan', set in motion by Bane almost a millennia before.

Set over three time periods spanning over thirty years, we see the intricacies of how Plagueis, and his apprentice, Darth Sidious, among others (which I was greatly pleased to see), bring about the events that lead up to the films that we have all come to love in our own ways. Political subterfuge, secret societies, assassinations, and wide-spread corruption, embroiled within the expansive web that the Sith held over the galaxy: This novel provides answers to almost every vagary from the movies that you can think of. After reading this novel, I know I will be able to re-watch the movies with an enlightened knowledge, a different outlook on the roles of key figures, and the depth of characters - especially Palpatine.

Overall, this is by far the best 'Expanded Universe' piece I have come across so far, and a must for an avid Star Wars fan. But also, I have to say that even if you aren't that much of a fan of the franchise, this is a fantastic novel that someone with even the slightest interest in Science Fiction would enjoy.

I hope, if you choose to purchase this, that you enjoy it as much as I have.
on 26 March 2017
Its a decent book, not as good as the Bane series, I read it only once, it seems to focus more on politics rather than action. Worth a read if you want to see the build up to the Phantom Menace and how the events in that movie came to be.