Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 August 2016
I loved Bulgakov’s ‘The Master and Margarita’ for its procession of surreal characters. Perhaps, none so amusing as those concerning Behemoth: an enormous, black, talking cat. From his first appearance when he hops on a tram and insists on paying his fare, to all his vodka drinking and gun wielding shenanigans, he is delightful! There are other wonderful, characters in the demonic entourage, like Azazello and Koroviev whose antics are well worth checking out. And of course, there is the devil himself – if you loved Dr Faustus then you will love his understated guise as the foreign professor, Woland.

There is too much to say about the book in one review, but I think what I liked the most (aside from the devilry) is how creativity and imagination dissolve the bland and superficial. God and the devil, bureaucrats and higher culture fall by the wayside, but the human spirit comes shining through.
on 24 April 2017
I'm not sure how I've managed to miss this surreal satirical masterpiece until now - but many thanks to Nick from the Station book group for choosing it. How did he get books and plays like this past Pravda and the other apparatus of state censorship? It's interesting to contrast Bulgakov's and Shostakovich's experiences of struggling to survive and work under Stalin.
on 2 July 2017
Just...just read it. Really. There are no words I could give that could accurately express what this book makes the reader feel. Really, it is an anomaly. But all I guess that that is all I can say without getting into the intricacies of the plot and without revealing things that readers should find out on their own through reading this utterly pleasing, mind opening, bizarre and fantastic book. I cannot believe I hadn't read it sooner. An absolute gem of an underrated classic. I have read it twice and I'm sure as anyone else who has enjoyed this book would agree, twice isn't enough. If this book is on your list, buy it. Even if you do not personally like a lot of aspects in regards to the story, reading it cover to cover will never be a regret. One of the all time underrated greats.
Ps. The Vintage Classics Russian series edition is beautiful - truly the best copy if you like your books to be beautiful presented - everything from the cover to the font and spacing is brilliant and a joy to read - makes for a lovely inexpensive collector's edition. 100% recommended.
on 9 May 2017
A dazzling,surreal masterpiece,part religious allegory,part political satire and with elements of autobiography;in that the Master's artistic neglect mirrors Bulgakov's own experience as a maverick writer in Stalinist Russia
Any deficiencies in the translation would seem trivial,when set against the difficulty of learning Russian!!
on 10 April 2017
completely bonkers. Close your mind to the world you know and immerse yourself in this book.
on 15 December 2016
One of my favourite books of all time. Got it as a Christmas present for my partner. I think it will be ideal. It is great to share the best things with the ones you love. I recommend it for everyone who likes good literature.
on 11 July 2017
Lovely edition. One of the better covers, nice red textile binding underneath the sleave. Good size and clear print.
on 25 July 2017
Beautiful edition, and great translation.
on 21 May 2017
Absolutely brilliant. Took me just under a week to finish this, once I started I was completely hooked. Spot on translation. Buy it!!
on 7 April 2017
A book that combines a wonderful story with an amazing sense of magic. It takes you right out of this world.