VINE VOICEon 25 December 2015
The concept that real life is somehow lacking and that gaming can not only fill this void but actually improve it is an arresting one. The author did not completely persuade me in the end, though some of her methods deployed among the forgotten and denigrated members of the new underclass might have traction, but I don't think she had yet broken into that audience. Instead she demonstrates that gamers can co-operate and work in deep strength, the sort of strength that might make governments think twice. The mass of men lead lives of quiet suffering has been a commonplace for millennia, a suffering ameliorated by religion or chemicals, could gaming provide the same pleasure jags without quite the same wear and tear? Too much of the book is consumed with calling things epic and awesome (the song from the Lego Movie kept sounding in my head) and thinking that only these elements can be created from games (as against those three major opiates: reading, listening to music, and the craic). For all she oversells the process there must be something here, we don't need games to generate co-operation, but gaming itself so often is a manifestation of other interests. Gaming provides a common language, and one increasingly "spoken" by many
on 27 November 2014
If you have children and are worried about gaming ( as most parents are) READ THIS BOOK ! It will totally change your attitude to gaming and what our children can learn from it. This book gave me the tools to connect with my son and his friends in a way that other parents couldn't... and as a result, the children themselves got a better insight into what they were doing and became empowered by it. We hear all the cliches about gaming but don't know anything about the positives and the potential. Highly recommended for parents.
on 28 July 2015
As a teaching gamer, or gaming teacher, I am always on the look out for making lessons more... playable. What Jane does here is first offer an explanation of why gaming is good for you (a refreshing change from all the naysayers who are, quite clearly, wrong) before laying down a set of strategies for making like more game like. It's references are starting to date (for instance, no mention of Minecraft here) but the reasoning is sound. Next time you get accused of playing too much, produce this book and say "got to play - doctor's orders."
on 22 December 2017
I'm quite interested in gamification but found this overly descriptive, long-winded and ultimately boring. This took far longer to read than it should've.
on 13 February 2016
A really good book with great insight to an interesting subject about games, gamers and how they can contribute to the world. I just didn't feel that the title question was answered but I may need to read it again. It is a good work.
on 3 July 2013
I realise now that the men in my life are actually building their teamwork and social skills by playing Dungeons and Dragons Online. Who knew? until Jane McGonigal's entertaining, cogently argued defence of video-gaming.
on 24 October 2016
I would highly recommend this book-it gives a very clear insight into gamification, and its potential.
on 12 February 2016
Very interesting book to read opened my eyes to a number things I had never really thought about or realised.
on 1 April 2016
Great if a little repetitive in its message. Jane provides real world examples of how games have and can change the world and she gives us a strategy for applying these ideas to our lives. This has changed my mindset and made me generally more optimistic.
on 19 July 2014
this is _the_ lady on gamification and the interest and challenge of her Ted Talks carries through in this book. It may not cover the whole of the issues but it's a very easy and interesting read.