Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 March 2002
I thoroughly enjoyed the Partner. It has more twists and turns than a very twisty thing! I was kept guessing right until the end as to what was going to be revealed next. Definetely Grisham at his best. Go out and buy it!
on 28 January 2001
I was first introduced into the amazing world of John Grisham after a friend of mine recommended it. The Partner is the fourth in the series that I have read and I found it as good if not better than the last three. I now own most of his books so I'll have no shortage of reading material for the next few weeks. From the opening paragraphs of The Partner I was hooked and couldn't put it down. I found myself hoping that Patrick would somehow manage to get out of jail and ride of into the sunset with his beatiful Brazilian girlfriend. I was thoroughly confused by the last few pages as it contradicted everything I saw throughout the book and came to the conclusion that the ending had been hurried to meet a deadline or Grisham had been toying with more than one outsome. For me, if the last chapter had been left off, or changed, it would have been a five star read. I would advise anyone, whether or not you are already a fan of Grishams books to read this. I guarantee that you'll love it!
on 17 May 2004
This was the first Grisham book i read and i have now read 3 of his books and i can firmly say that this still is my favouite. And definatly one of his best books. This book has your attention from the off set! The first few chapters are amazing! Grisham is vivid with his description but doesn't dewell on it. There isn't a slow chapter anywhere in the book, something new is always being unvealed to keep you interested. The overall plot of the book is amazing. Some might say the ending was weak i thought it was good, as long as you don't try to sit down and figure it out. If you just sit back and read the book you will be amazed by what happens and you will have the book finished in no time. A truely great book
on 21 June 1999
This was the first John Grisham I have ever read and I have to say that it was brilliant from start to finish. I have never read a book that was so difficult to put down. An ingenious plot and superb writing made this an incredible story.
on 4 January 2007
The same old Grisham. The master of the yarn, but this time a little different. He's not in the courtroom this time - no. There is a lawyer involved, or rather an ex lawyer, but this time he's on the run. He flees from country to country and the people chasing him catch.... well that would be telling wouldn't it. Suffice to say the book is classic Grisham, at his best spinning a yarn without an awful lot going on. It's gripping and the ending well.... that would be telling too.
on 14 December 2006
Riveted from the back-page blurb to the final line, I read cover to cover in about six hours. The story does not let up for a moment and although Grisham always drops hints and clues as to where it's going you never know how, why, where or the end until you get there. Told in a bare, undescriptive and characteristically no-nonsense style, Patrick Lanigan's 'crime' proves to be anything but and the intricacies and loopholes of the law are dealt with masterfully. This book is excellent, excellent, excellent and all the characters are completely believable. There were a few typographical errors, not that that is particularly important, but I couldn't believe that such a large print-run let them through (this was in the Arrow edition, 1997).
on 8 August 2010
This is the most disappointingly irritating John Grisham novel I have read so far. The writing is Grisham's usual - no complaints over style - but the plot is awful.

Patrick is a criminal who faked his own death and stole $90 million from his employer, yet he is the star of the show and we are meant to sympathise, despite learning relatively little about how or why he did it until fairly late on. He's now been caught, and the book tells the story of his attempts to get away with it.

Forget what I said earlier. The style is awful. Almost the entire plot is played out as dialogue. Between Patrick and his lawyer, Patrick and his judge, the FBI and the victims etc. As such there is no action at all beyond the first chapter. Everything is people talking about events in the past.

And finally, the end, while set up to be the traditional Grisham conclusion, suddenly departs from that track at the last second leaving the reader feeling unfulfilled. There's no hint whatsoever that this is what's coming.

So overall this gets three stars from me. It's entertaining from the point of view that you keep reading because you want to know all the details, but infuriating because of the points above.
on 15 October 1998
This book must have the worst ending of any book I have read. Things are going fine until you get to the last few pages and what a let down. All the logical building of the main character is suddenly turned on its head. Maybe this is the point but there are just too many more logical endings that would have been satisfactory. One thing for sure you remember this book for this ending.
on 6 April 2002
You don't need me to tell you that John Grisham has a talent for writing novels with the law at their heart: he has!
The partner is another of his books that features Brazil. The Testament took us to the Pantanal ... The Partner takes us to the beach at Ipanema. It takes us to more ordinary settings, too; and it takes us to Paraguay, the Caribbean and the USA.
The basic plot is that despite having died a horrible death in a car crash, Patrick S Lanigan somehow managed to embezzle $90 million and get away with it...
The story takes on a life of its own once Lanigan is in jail. There is a marvellous twist at the end of the book that I have to say I didn't see coming; but I did see all of the other parts of the plot lurking on the horizon well before they arrived. Not a difficult plot to unravel but it bounces along very well...
Grisham's lawyers are dreadful people and yet again they get their come uppance...
Nevertheless, as the story unfolded, I felt that Grisham was painting a picture of Lanigan's potential for outwitting the legal profession that wasn't right: I didn't want Lanigan to get off completely. Even though many of the characters in the story are obnoxious, we can't justify Lanigan's theft and following actions. He left a trail of misery, he caused peoples' lives to turn upside down; and I would say Lanigan did this in a cowardly and despicable manner...
on 22 March 2001
One of the best John Grisham book I have ever read, fast paced has you gripped from the first page