Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 March 2010
Karen Traviss, the Queen of the Clones herself, brings us the novelization of The Clone Wars animated film.

Now this novel is only based on the film and, although the story line is the same, the scenes and dialogue are very different - more so than the novelizations of the other films. I'm not saying this is a bad thing; I'm simply pointing it out.

What I like most about reading the film novelizations is that we get to see more scenes that maybe got binned by the editors and we also get to see what the characters are thinking and more background to many of the scenes that we don't see in the film.

This is no exception and Traviss does a great job of focussing on the conflict within Anakin that is lost in the film. We see more of his darker thoughts and we start to get a real sense of his frustration with the Jedi Order and hatred brought on by memories of his past; something that I felt was lacking in many of the other books that involve him.

My only real complaint with this book is that Palpatine is revealed to us as the bad guy too early in my opinion. Now I know that we're all aware `he woz the one who done it' but I preferred the subtle hints and the revelation mid-way through `Revenge of the Sith' - it makes the story arc more dramatic in my humble opinion. A minor gripe but I have to find one really.

So, do I think this is a good book? Yes I do. It is well written and a nice light read. It certainly adds more to what is already a good film. My only real concern is that I find myself strangely attracted to Ahsoka Tano. Now this is bad for 3 reasons: Firstly she's a cartoon character, secondly she's an alien and thirdly she's only 14! I have been given the number of a very good psychiatrist and will be starting sessions next week.
on 25 November 2009
Karen Traviss' success with her series of Republic Commando novels that began with Hard Contact has given her the oppurtunity to write one of the movie tie ins. In some ways, being the foremost expert on clone troopers, she is the ideal choice for this novelisation but unfortunately in other ways she is perhaps not suited to this kind of novel. The gritty realism and sense of despair that were the best elements of her previous Star Wars novels (including the Legacy of the Force ones) doesn't really have a place in this book which is essentially aimed at a younger audience than a lot of the Star Wars novels. Some of her usual style slips in with the internal thoughts of Anakin and Rex and the book is heavily weighted in favour of clone and military activity to the point where Amidala's sub-plot is virtually removed. In fact this is perhaps the biggest problem with the book. With Amidala and Ziro's roles played down it feels as if the novel speeds too rapidly to the end of the movie.

Overall though the book is well written and is what it has to be; a film tie in that has to appeal to all the kids who rushed to see it and bought all the toys. No doubt Karen will provide us with something more hard edged from the Star Wars universe in the near future.
on 5 June 2011
this is the 3rd book of the clone wars i bought for my other half he loves them. thank you.
on 23 May 2013
God, I hate Karen Travis. She's the Scrappy Do of Star Wars authors. All she had to do here was follow the plot of the film with a bit of character insight but we've got something that veers massively from the film and is clogged down with her usual dose of Jedi-bashing. I expected a light, breezy adventure, like the film: what I got instead was an utter chore.

A spin-off book of a spin-off film is a pretty pointless thing so adding bits should give it a bit more worth but this actually changes entire scenes. This isn't necessarily Travis's fault- there could have been plot changes after she was commissioned- but as this will only appeal to completists, releasing something that doesn't fit into the rest of the EU is unacceptable. A cynical cash in of the worst sort and utterly, utterly hateful. Just watch the film.
on 15 August 2013
The books just get better this book is set in the clone wars and is about how the republic is struggling to fight the sepretist
on 7 January 2017
Good book slightly different to DVD
on 6 January 2010
Story is a little thin but as always Karen Traviss does a good job with the characterisation and produces a good book.