Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 May 2014
While history may have condemned Lucrezia Borgia, in Jean Plaidy's book she is seen as a young woman caught up in events way out of her control. I have always admired the extensive research done by this author, which gives me confidence that she is writing as close to the truth as it is possible to get. An easy read, one chapter flows into the next and as in all her books, the pace never lags. Not only has Jean Plaidy fostered my love for history, she also inspired me to become a writer myself. Jean Plaidy's books have stood the test of time.
on 13 March 2017
Brilliant and excellent read
on 6 April 2013
I've never read any of Jean Plaidy's books before and read this because it was nominated by a historical novelists' book group I belong to that focuses on historical novels. I have many friends and relations who have enjoyed her books so was interested to see what the fuss was about, especially now that, having been out of fashion for a while, her books have been reissued.

I found this a curious book. It reminded me partly of a high school history text book, carefully and elaborately explaining the facts in a digestible way, and the sort of essay we students might have been asked to write, imagining ourselves in the period. It was occasionally heavy-handed at slipping in period detail to anchor the story historically e.g. going on about Spanish style dancing versus Italian style dancing. This is not to be dismissive of the book - I enjoyed reading it and found it a real page-turner. However, I found it hard to believe that the heroine could have grown up as innocent and naive as she was depicted, growing up within such a dysfunctional and amoral family. Therefore although it felt historically accurate overall, it struck me that it might be a bit of a whitewash of Lucrezia Borgia. I also felt slightly uncomfortable with what was almost exclusively a portrayal of the upper classes with little regard for anyone else, other than as caricatures. It did feel like something that had been written decades ago, when the British class system was rather more rigid and deferential. As a bit of a leftie, I disliked that aspect of the book intensely.

Having said that, I'm glad I read it, and I can completely understand how Jean Plaidy gained such a huge following. I'll be watching with interest to see how 21st century readers take to her - and how the rest of my book group responds.
I wanted an entertaining historical novel that was a fictionalised account of the Borgias and their troubling ways. Someone recommended I try Jean Plaidy, so I got this and the sequel. I have to say it is indeed a historical novel, and it does talk about the Borgias, but goodness me I didn't find it entertaining. I wanted to, but I found it very dull, extremely slow going and quite repetitious. If I had to hear one more time about how Lucrezia liked to wash her hair I think I would have torn the book in two. I'm not sure if this is Plaidy's usual style as I've never read anything by her before, but I was amazed at how much hard work it was to stay engaged with this book. I got the feeling she didn't like any of the characters much, but felt she ought to, and scrabbled about looking for redeeming characteristics so she could say something positive.
on 18 October 2016
After watching 'The Borgias' with Jeremy Irons I wanted to read more about Lucrezia. The version of events set out in this book does not agree entirely with the film production, but that is to be expected. I am more inclined to accept Jean Plaidy's version of events - good solid research and no need to be sensational! Loved it.
on 3 July 2009
I read this as a child, and was delighted to discover it had been reprinted. It was everybit as enjoyable as i remembered. This and Light on Lucrezia remain amongst my favourates of Miss Plaidys work.
These books are easy to read, and utterly bring history to life, in my case they sparked a life long love of history and reading.
I utterly recommend reading this book, it will shed new light on one of histories most maligned characters Lucrezia Borgia.
on 23 January 2015
I discovered Jean Plaidy when my history teacher sent me to the library after getting 10% in an exam. My teacher didn't inspire me at all, but Ms Plaidy did. Her historical novels gave me an interest in the people and history that has endured for many years. I am looking forward to reading the Borgia series, and others, again.
on 18 September 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Lucrezia Borgia was not of the idea already implanted in my brain of a poisoner....it was her family!! I loved reading the book and quickly bought the second book. I really enjoyed reading this book and couldn't put it down. If you like Jean Plaidy you'll love this.
on 31 December 2014
Showed Lucretia Borgias in a whole new light, not the murderess that history books have painted her
on 11 June 2015
Plaidy always researches well and enjoyed reading this one again.