Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 March 2010
A very thoroughly researched and comprehensive study of Mary Stuart and Darnley. The language is fluent and readable at a variety of levels - if a little colloquial in places.

I found I could not put this book down until I had finished it. As I have also read Weir's book on Elizabeth 1,Weir's writing style was familiar and I was able to compare and appreciate the academic scope of both books. Two must-reads for anyone interested in this period of history.
on 20 March 2014
another brilliant book by Alison weir. she keeps you interested from beginning to end. quite simply, this book tells you all about the life of mary queen of scotts.
on 13 June 2004
I opened this book expecting to find new information but Weir has once again shown she is no historian. Her book is mawkish and offensive to readers, full of inaccuracies and totally lacking in source references. A dire read.
on 9 November 2015
Expected a novel but more factual historical account. Very well done but just not what I was expecting
on 15 July 2015
An interesting and enjoyable ,thoroughly enjoyed it !.
on 4 July 2014
Very good ,well written . No complaints.
on 16 August 2009
This is an excellent book, full of information and very rich in detail. It is a very thick volume and I have not finished reading it yet but it gives a good picture of how impossible Mary's position was, as she was up against many scheming Protestant Lords, among them her illegitimate half-brother, the Duke of Moray.

I find the book quite heavy going at times but it is nonetheless fascinating and hard to put down.

Alison Weir is one of my favourite authors.
on 5 January 2015
great condition and value for money
VINE VOICEon 20 August 2009
I enjoyed this book, Weir writes in such a manner that you get to know the characters, not just the well known facts, but the day to day aspects of theie lives. Both Mary and Elizabeth are portrayed as vicitms of their time, and the events which pan out, even though we know the outcome, still left me feeling "just do something to stop this".
on 1 January 2015
Excellent book and service.