Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 19 May 2009
I purchased this book mostly because of the reviews on this page, and also because I have have grown tired of reading endless "American" crime fiction, where sometimes it feels as if I have read the same story over, and over, again.
And what a treat. As much as I adore Mark Billingham's London based Thorne novels, Mark Pearson has just knocked him off my number one, favourite crime writer(s), perch!
An absolute descriptive, gripping and fantastic read. Don't hesitate if you are uncertain about buying this debut novel from a new author, just do it!!!
22 Comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2009
Great to see a new writter in the genre. Mark pearson has created a character in D.I Delaney who would easily convert to the small screen. The book is a real page turner from the start and the murky uderlife of west London is well set against the turbulent world of Delaney. Prostitues and Irish whiskey there may be but this book is far from cliched and I look forward to the new release. I thoroughly enjoyed the tales of the rough talking D.I. Hopefully more to come.
Excellent, thoroughly recommened.
on 9 March 2009
MARK PEARSON'S HARD EVIDENCE is hard boiled London Noir from a new writer in the genre - but one who looks set to stay. It's an impressive debut launching a really strong character. DI Jack Delaney, really puts the black into black Irish. Based out of a fictional White City police station Delaney is an unashamedly unreconstructed copper. The world he inhabits is more akin to a post modern Chandler's mean streets than the procedural beats of a Frost or Thorne. Delaney is a dangerously violent, functioning drunk, who's world view is seen through the bloodshot eyes of a man responsible for his wife's own murder. Darkly charismatic Delaney would seem to have no trouble finding a decent kind of woman to salve his troubled heart but he doesn't want saving - instead Delaney finds solace in the arms of prostitutes, the charms of Irish whiskey and the balm of a toot of cocaine. Delaney's London is a seriously screwed up place and if it needs someone as equally screwed up to police its dangerous streets then Jack Delaney seems more than qualified. This is a cracking first novel, the pace never flags, the dialogue is as sharp as a cut throat razor and the stories of a murdered prostitute and a missing girl come together seamlessly amidst the emotional train wreck of DI Delaney's life. Just like the other reviewers I am really looking to the next one in the series coming out this Summer - but the title seems to have been changed from Blood Line to Blood Work.
11 Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 March 2009
I am always on the lookout for new authors, however you are taking a chance with someone you do not know and yes you can be disappointed many times. This book is a page turner with a loveable detective D.I. Delaney.
It is fast paced with two stories coming together beautifully.The book draws you in from the first page and leaves you breathless on the last. A horrendous murder of a prostitute and a missing child. And of coarse there is a lady (in fact two ladies) one a new detective fresh out of uniform and the other a pathologist. Won't spoil it for you !

I am really looking forward to his new novel "Blood Lines" out in August.
on 8 May 2009
What an amazing book. A murder/detective thriller is not my usual book but I had been recommended this and was not disappointed. Great read. I couldn't put it down. Particularly liked central character. Could see this becoming a major movie so I am glad I've read the book first. Excellent. Urge others to read this author, Mark Pearson, who is clearly going to be BIG star.
on 15 June 2009
I was given this book by a friend and absolutely loved it. I just wish there was someone like lead character Jack Delaney on our local police force, who could get out there and bang a few heads together.

The plot twists and turns like a rattlesnake on a roller coaster, and will keep you guessing right up until the end.

All in all, a terrific five star read.
on 18 February 2009
Hard Evidence introduces a new, hard boiled copper in the shape of whiskey drenched, smart talking maverick, Detective Inspector Jack Delaney. Trying to solve the murder of a prostitute, Delaney's investigation into the underbelly of modern London cracks along with the speed of a 45 automatic being fired into a corpse. But the more that Delaney delves into the seedier side of life in the city, the more his own dark soul is exposed.
You wouldn't want him marrying your daughter, but if you're in trouble, Delaney's the man you'd want by your side.
on 7 July 2009
A gritty, hard-boiled style of writing, with flashes of wit and warmth. A pretty engaging story and well drawn characters. Delaney, with his dead wife and heavy drinking habit to numb his grief, is a typical flawed detective hero which makes for an enjoyable read but also makes the piece feel a bit un-original. If you're looking for something to surprise you, you might be disappointed but if you're looking for a noir crime story well told then look no further!
on 21 February 2010
This is a very good debut novel featuring policeman Jack Delaney in a London setting. Jack is likeable, but flawed and very real.

He has also been set up, making the ride an interesting one.

All the ingredients I look for in a crime novel are there : it is well-written and the plot is well-constructed. Pearson writes with a great deal of colour and showcases a number of good lines and thoughts. There is also frightfully little nonsense for the reader to deal with.

In short - you won't have to try too hard to enjoy this crime novel. 9/10
I Googled Mark Pearson a few years ago when I read James Patterson's Private London and he remained on my to read list until a few days ago when I decided to read Hard Evidence. I'm so glad that I did. I love crime fiction, it is the genre that I have read the most over the years but in particular I love crime fiction set in London. The problem however is that some authors set their book in London but end up writing a book that could be taking place anywhere in the UK because of the lack of description and/or mention of places. I like London to be as much of a character as a books actual characters and I'm glad to say that in this book London was a character.

Mark Pearson is/was a scriptwriter and that was very evident whilst reading this book, particularly as he wrote for The Bill and at times this book was like an episode of The Bill, albeit an exaggerated one as up until the last few chapters of the book it felt very realistic and authentic. Delaney was a great character. As always it is the characters that refuse to play by the book that make the best characters and Delaney is certainly a character that plays by his own rules and nobody elses.

Overall I enjoyed this book a lot. In terms of location it was probably one of the best London based crime stories I have read. In terms of character Delaney has a lot of potential and I can't wait to read more about him and in terms of story I was kept guessing until the end and it was an enjoyable read. Unfortunately it appears that Pearson's latest book has had its publication abandoned but I can't seem to find out why. There are still three more books to read following this one but I am a bit disappointed that that seems to be it because Pearson is a fantastic writer and storyteller going only by this book.