Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 5 May 2011
The "cove of rare intelligence" is, of course, the eponymous Jeeves. In the last of the stories in this collection he takes over from Bertie Wooster as narrator, permitting himself to observe that his personal motto is "Tact and Resource." If not before, the reader will have discovered just how resourceful Jeeves can be.

The stories are formulaic, often featuring some frightful dilemma that has befallen one of Bertie's friends, and frequently overshadowed by a battle axe of an aunt or an uncle about to cut off the money supply. While restraining the worst excesses of his employer's taste in suits and ties, this epitome of a gentleman's gentleman can always contrive a solution.

Coincidence plays a recurring part but what matter? The joy of Wodehouse is that in Bertie and his manservant he has created two characters who will live long in the English language. Carry On, Jeeves, after all, was first published nearly ninety years ago. Superficially, the stories may appear no more than amusing trifles but the world the author creates so apparently effortlessly is real enough within the conventions of its creator. The pleasure, the unfailing pleasure of revisiting this world again and again, is ours.

Hopefully, there are generations out there who come to these stories unsuspecting the joy that lies ahead. Old hands will return with gratitude.
on 20 November 2008
You can't go wrong with a good bit of Jeeves. I rarely laugh out loud at books, but P.G. Wodehouse has never failed me and Carry On, Jeeves is no exception.

This book is an excellent introduction to the Jeeves genre, since it features several short stories about the gentleman's personal gentleman, including the story in which he first appears on Bertram Wooster's doorstep. Jeeves quickly makes himself indispensible to the fun-loving man-about-town and the stories which follow see him extricate Bertie and his friends from numerous sticky situations.

The real joy of any Wodehouse book is the language: the dialogue zips along at a wonderful pace, scattering fantastic images and outrageous '20s slang as it goes. This comes to a halt, however, in the final story, which is narrated by Jeeves rather than Bertie. The story and the characters are as perfectly-formed as ever, but as I polished off the last few pages in the book I found myself missing Bertie's garrulous companionship. Far from ruining the book for me, though, the unexpected end simply whetted my appetite for more in this wonderful series. If there is still anyone out there who has yet to sample the delights of P.G. Wodehouse they should read this book immediately.
on 7 August 2011
I have never read a P.G. Wodehouse and at 54 decided i should - what a wonderful book made me chuckle ( a thing that very few more modern books seem to do!) wonderully written, would thoroughly recommend it am planning to read the whole series!!
on 16 August 2014
Ever since Stephen Fry recommended P G Wodehouse, I've read all the Blandings stuff I can get and now I've started on the Jeeves and Wooster stuff. I've got the full dvd set and the books are proving to be brilliant. I've downloaded two more omnibus books to my kindle and can't wait to get into them. Not only are the books entertainingly funny, but also give an insight to the social history of the era (inter-war period).
on 20 November 2012
Whilst I am a bigger fan of casr dramatisations of P.G. Wodehouse I very soon got into the swing of the Martin Jarvis reading of these short stories. Clearly those who are familiar with a braod range of Wodehouse writings will be aware of certain inconsitencies in stories, variations that do not get picked upin subsquent stories and a deal of recyling of themes: Bertie's unwanted engagements, various uncle's reminiscences and so forth. This is not important; with Wodehouss it is the journey that is the joy, the language is thrilling and the effortlessness of the writing is a wonder.
on 13 June 2011
Martin Jarvis is a good reader but these stories are better told by the excellent Jonathon Cecil. For me Cecil is the definitive Wodehouse voice.
on 21 April 2011
Johnathan Cecil is a perfect reader for the Jeeves stories; this audio book comprises of 6 CDs the stories being
Jeeves Takes Charge where we and Bertie Wooster are first introduced to the almost super-human Jeeves
The Artistic Career of Corky; Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest; Jeeves and the Hard-Boiled Egg; The Aunt and the Sluggard; The Rummy Affair of Old Biffy; Without the Option; Fixing it for Freddie; Clustering Round Young Bingo and Bertie Changes His Mind.

I own all the Jeeves stories in book form, and would love to get them on audio CD; unfortunately this seems to be the only compilation obtainable on Amazon that is read by Cecil, who is excellent and captures the mood of the time exactly. I've noted that the other Jeeves stories are in the form of plays, starring Richard Briers as Bertie. I HATE Richard Briers!
on 25 January 2000
The book is about this very dim-witted 1920's gentleman, Bertie and his manservant, Jeeves. These two men help Bertie's friends who are always in trouble and have vicious uncles or aunts who support them financially. This is very funny and often very overwhelming. I liked this book for several reasons: the language, the characters and the writing. One of the great things about this book is that it has little stories each between 20 and 45 pages long and yet each of them are interconnected. Any one can read this book if you are 9 or if you are 109. You can also read this book absolutely any ware. And you can read this book any time of the day you like morning noon or night. I really like this book and I am sure that any one else who reads it will love it too
Matthew Bradfield
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 January 2015
I last read a Jeeves and Wooster book back in my teens - a long time ago. I was slightly wary about revisiting them in case they weren't the same. I shouldn't have worried, however, Jeeves and Wooster were just the same and I very much enjoyed revisting them.

Bertie Wooster is a man of leisure who enjoys spending his time eating out and visiting clubs with his friends. To be honest he isn't the brightest spark in the bonfire and I never cease to be amazed that his many friends come to him for help. Thankfully Jeeves appears on the scene. That very efficient, clever and resourceful butler/valet who very successfully gets Bertie and his friends out of the most terrible scrapes - sometimes even before they know they are in them! Jeeves and Wooster are each wonderful characters in their own right. You can't help loving Bertie Wooster - he means so well and comes up with the most harebrained plans to help out his friends. You have to wonder how on earth he coped before Jeeves came along!

There is no doubt that the stories are rather unlikely........ok, I admit it, more unlikely than that. However, this world of Jeeves and Wooster is a fictional bubble which you need to enter and explore with no attempt to attach it to reality. Just sit back, relax and be prepared to smile at the ridiculous scrapes of Bertie Wooster and smile again when you realise that Jeeves has not only got them out of the scrape but got his own way on which sort of shirts Wooster should be wearing!!
on 24 May 2014
I haven't yet finished this book, but I love it. Wodehouse's writing is so light-hearted and easy to read. I can't help but visualize the Fry and Laurie version from TV as I read, and that suits me because I thought they played the characters brilliantly. Great fun!