Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 May 2009
If you read this book you will feel like you've travelled every mile of the journey to South Africa with Lois. She has that knack of blending the humour of her experiences with the downright frightening. The story is told with the highs and the lows, warts and all. Watch out if you ever meet Lois because you could end up in her next book. She is a dab hand at summming people up and not slow to make her opinions about people known! As well as the descriptions of the countries she travels though, what made this book for me was the way she describes the characters she meets on the way. The sheer determination and positive attitude of this woman is an inspiration. Buy it, read it and, if you can, get on your bike and get out of here! (I recommend you also read "Lois on the loose", her first book)
on 17 January 2010
I read Lois Pryce's first book, Lois On The Loose, and thought it was so enjoyable that I started Red Tape and White Knuckes hoping, but doubting, that it could be as entertaining. My doubts vansihed after the first chapter. I had just as much fun riding along with her through Africa as I did going to Tierra del Fuego in the first book. She's a terrifically entertaining writer. I've seen other books about touring that might appeal more to the motorcyc;e mechanic or to people who want "how to" guidebooks, but for sheer fun and adventure, you can't find better stories then the ones Lois tells.
on 6 June 2008
Well some time ago I read and thoroughly enjoyed "Lois On The Loose" and have had
"Red Tape & White Knuckles" pre ordered for some time.
Mr Amazon honoured his Promise and as It dropped through my door on the 4th of June
I thought at least that is one really good read to take with me next week on holiday.
BUT.. I made the mistake of reading the prologue ..... Then finished the book on Thursday night.!!
I must say I really REALLY enjoyed it, Even More Than "Lois On The Loose"
I take my hat.. and coat and shoes off to This young lady, She is certainly one Mad, Guttsy and Brave lass to tackle such a journey.
She also posses that rare talent as a writer, That once lifted and commenced The Book is so damn hard to put down..
A Really Excellent adventure and extremely well told, The reader is almost there riding alongside with her.
A Highly recommended read
on 16 May 2009
Having read 'Lois on the Loose' I was eager for more from this brave and funny young woman and wasnt disapointed ! Lois shares her amazing journey through desert, mud ,minefields and scary encounters with her usual lightheartedness although you know that it must have been really tough going! You are an inspiration Lois !
on 29 August 2009
Lois Pryce writes great travelling adventure books, this one is no exception. I have to say though I enjoyed her first one better but this one is close! I will be looking for her next one, I'm sure I'll enjoy it as well.
on 18 July 2008
Half way through this book I had the slightly surreal experience of actually meeting Lois (she of the sparkly crash helmet & sheepskin saddle) by accident on the M3 as she was riding to Spain for her next adventure with husband Austin Vince (of Mondo Enduro fame). I was able to whip the book out of my tank bag for an impromtu book signing. She was on the bike that made the trip from London to Cape town and she proudly proclaimed still on the same chain and sprokets. But what of the book?Well, even before I met Lois I thought it a superb read having devoured it to the 1/2 way point in one evening. She has an honest, self depricating style that completly captures the essence of the journey without taking herself too seriously in light of all the obvious poverty throughout Africa. Makes The Long Way Down look like an embarrassing, self-obsessed lovee in for complete wozzies. Cheap bike, minimal kit and a proper mental attitude -it's an adventure, so enjoy it for what it is and she does. Putting it down I felt I'd riden the whole way with her. Highly recomended as an antidote to the stale, nanny state, H&S concious world we live in. Can't wait for the next one. Recommended for motorcyclists and non-motorcyclists alike it is a very whitty non-pretentious tale.
on 7 January 2010
Well I absolutely enjoyed the first book by Lois about her adventures from Alaska and down through South America and was eager to get a copy of this book when I realised she had done a 2nd trip. I'm only a few chapters in but already I'm completey captured and the story flows just like her first book. I've so got the itch for my own adventure in 2010.
on 22 July 2011
Another cracking read from Lois.
This time she rides down thru Africa from Tunisia to Cape Town, the first part of the journey she has the company of a couple of Belgians in a 4x4, plus a local guide to help them get thru the Sahara, I don't think Lois was too happy in their company, as she is such a free spirit, doing things her way!
She only had to tolerate them as far as Cameroon, then she got back into the flow of being a lone traveller!
She was not without some hairy moments, drunken and stoned soldiers on a train to the Congo, which seemed to be the scariest part of the journey-very dodgy country to be in as a lone female traveller.
If you read the first book of her travels, Lois on the loose, then you won't be disappointed with this book of her next adventure.
Buy it, read and enjoy !!!
on 22 August 2015
Excellent. I have thoroughly enjoying both of Lois Price's books. I have travelled through every flood, muddy puddle and border crossing with her!! Definitely recommend - for the story and the story teller.
on 21 September 2015
I have just finished reading this book having read her previous one "Lois on the loose", I didn't want the book to end and I am hoping she is going to write some more .I am in total admiration at her bravery and her determination to conquer her fears ,on top of that she makes me laugh my head off with some of her tales ,just brilliant .Even if I didn't ride a motorbike myself I know I would still love her books as her observations of people are spot on and Its taught me a bit of geography at the same time .