Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Moana - Listen with Prime Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

We, The Drowned
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 May 2013
I was in the Merchant Navy for 13 years and I'm very proud and honored to have had the opportunity. When someone that hasn't sailed asks me "why the fascination and love of the sea?" I no longer have to stumble around looking for an articulate answer all I have to do is say......"read this book".
on 20 July 2017
Great story
on 5 July 2011
This is one of those books which is so good that you really don't want it to end.

It has many virtues: It is an extremely skillfully written book which has been translated so well that it reads as if it had been written originally in English. It makes vivid word pictures. The sequence of inter-linked stories is extremely strong individually and produce a coherent pageant that engages the imagination and absorbs the attention. It makes you laugh. It brings tears to the eyes. It is extremely perceptive.

But above all this it continually eludes categorisation which is what makes it so intriguing -- it could be a history of a town; or the saga of a sea-faring community; or about the battles that men and women fight with each other because of their different outlooks. Or it could simply be about the human condition.

It is a wonderful book.
on 18 March 2013
I have to echo the positive reviews here to say that this is a truly magical book. Epic in scope, it spans four generations and crosses many seas. The first story starts out in the 18th century and each subsequent character and story follows on so that the reader is taken on a journey through their lives, through many seafaring voyages and, in some cases, loves found and lost. At times heartbreaking, poignant and funny it is most of all, people with admirable characters as well as dubious ones.
The translators have also done an amazing job of making the English version just as rich as one can imagine the original Danish version is. It's a gem of a book and the writer should be commended on his storytelling ability.
on 21 January 2015
I loved this book, genuinely loved it. It is full of the ocean, of seafarers tales, of mystery, humanity and inhumanity.
The characters are vividly brought to life and their stories written with a real feel for their lives and motives.
It takes you from Denmark to the heart of the Pacific and back again and to much more.
It is the story of the town and inhabitants of Marstal, a shipping port in Denmark. At times stark and brutal, at others, warm and humane, shot through with wit and wisdom. This is story telling on a grand scale.
It is a big book, but never outstays it's welcome. Highly recommended.
on 24 May 2012
This is a mix of "Moby Dick" and "One Hundred Years of Solitude" without being quite as good as either. It's the story of three generations of sailors in the small Danish town of Marstal. The sea is omnipresent, a sort of mirror to the ambitions of the men and to the sorrows (and occasional machinations) of their women-folk. The drowned are a sort of Greek chorus, a voice which sits in the background of the story, anonymous but local, alternatively young and old, male as well as female. The generations all connect through their shared history and their attachment to the sea.

It's also a beautiful book, physically. The graphics on the cover are dichromatic woodprints, it's just the right slightly oversized format and the book edges are painted an intense marine blue. Somebody went that extra bit further and did well.

It's a great saga if a bit out of left field.
on 20 July 2014
I just finished this and it's one of the best things I've read for years. It reminded me of Conrad, but with more heart. Very strongly recommend it.
on 6 December 2015
I went in a little skeptical to read this book. I largely bought it on a whim in a book store based on the cover and struggled to get past the first few pages but once I was in I was gripped. The story arch is beautiful and the themes within the book are so beautifully and carefully unfolded throughout.

I would consider this book my favourite book. It is a wonderful, life affirming read in which there are passages that will stay with me for the rest of my life. I could not recommend enough.
on 15 February 2011
This is a beautiful and compelling novel, vividly recreating the grandeur and fragility of the sailor's life. It encompasses both the epic and the minisculely human, showing how worlds turn and fortunes are made and lost on an individual's whim. Beautifully written, and most importantly it never forgets to entertain! I'm so pleased that I discovered this book, it is a pure joy - I would never have come across it were it not for Kindle Post so hurray for new technology!
on 14 July 2016
Picked up on a whim, and one of the most surprising and engaging novels I've read in years. A new favourite, likely to be re-read repeatedly. Can't recommend enough - if the first page doesn't hook you instantly, I'd be astonished.