Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 April 2012
This is a must have book for any lover of fairy tales. Wolves and grandmothers, the seven dwarfs, a goose made of gold and many more folk tales that the Grimm brothers have collected in this book. There are the more widely known fairy tales such as Rupunzel, Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella and Snow White and many more that are unbeknown to us such as The Goose Girl, The White Snake, The Water Nixie and many others. There are 279 stories in this book each captivating and drawing you into a different world full of wolves, witches, kings and queens, princes and princesses and evil stepmothers. These fairy tales are very different to the ones I grew up reading, in Cinderella which is one of my favourite tales the two evil stepsisters get their eyes pecked out due to their wickedness and malice. Violent, disturbing, funny and wise these stories will be loved by both children and adults.
on 17 January 2014
This review of of Jack Zipes' translation on Kindle, ASIN B003JH798W. For any adult interested in narrative structures in the Western tradition, folk tales are a great place to get the tropes and ideas into your head - they're certainly not just for children, and a fair few of these tales aren't *even* for children. The Brothers Grimm had their fair share of weirdness, and plenty of stories that Disney has sanitised or society forgotten appear in the 279 collected here (a more or less complete set I'd guess.)

Zipes' translations are careful, accurate, and considered. For any hobbyist writer, it's worth studying folk tales because they represent narrative in its purest form - oral traditions, where only stories that survived were worth hearing. If you think they're not relevant to today's world, remember "Star Wars" is explicitly a filmed fairy tale, complete with dark monsters and magical swords!) And a great price on Kindle from Vintage Classics, an imprint I'll be looking at more often. (I love the Penguin Classics but they're often startlingly pricey for works long out of copyright.)
on 19 December 2013
Got this for the Missus as she's always wanted to read these stories. This is the ultimate collection of all the Grimm's Fairy Tales in all their horrific glory. Maybe not something to read the kids as bedtime stories but still a great read.
on 24 March 2012
This is a fantastic collection, honestly would recommend (for us big kids or for those who have kids), I've spent hours trapped in a fantasy land.
on 20 April 2014
I have been looking for this edition of the book for a long time. I always loved fairy tales growing up and the Grimm's are just amazing! These fairy tales are the originals, the raw violent ones but are truly brilliant. This is now one of my all time favourite books!!
on 30 November 2015
I spotted this by chance in a bookstore & I'm so glad I did! I've carried it everywhere I've been all week reading stories whenever I can. I love the darkness, the bizarre (the one about the sausage springs to mind), the abrupt endings and no frills fairytales. It's just fantastic.
It's a beautiful book, inside & out, not my usual kind of book genre at all but the back intrigued me enough to buy it & like I said, I'm so glad I did!
on 5 November 2009
This collection has many favourite fairy tales as well as lots of new ones that I hadn't read. My five year old loves picking out a story to read each day; as some of them are quite dark I do end up editing them! I can imagine reading the stories here over and over again - they really are classics. And the cover is beautifully illustrated too!
on 3 December 2012
This collection of Grimm fairy tales is simply wonderful. My wife and I read one every night before we go to bed and it really does capture your imagination. Parents, be aware; some stories may not be suitable for younger children so you should read them beforehand to check.

A great buy.
on 29 June 2012
I loved these stories as a child,read them to my own children and now have them on my kindle for when I babysit my grandchildren a good purchase.
on 25 December 2013
Having been brought up on these tales a long time ago I'd forgotten how "grim" they really are. Wonderful translation and a chance to read the stories from before the time that Disney took hold.