Customer reviews

The Last Watch: (Night Watch 4)
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 2 December 2015
It's been a few years since I read this book's predecessor, but it's great who quickly it all came flooding back. This book is just as great as the first three, and made me want to see the films again, as well as picking up the fifth in the series (The New Watch: (Night Watch 5) (Night Watch Triology)) too.

The format of this book is exactly the same as the Others; three sections, telling three separate but linked stories. I'll admit that I really like this format, and each story was just as good as the other.

When this book first came out, there were several pages missing; I didn't get this in the one I got (albeit via Kindle), or at the very least didn't notice, so if that issue has been putting you off getting this, then worry no more.

If you're a fan of the first books in this series, you should read this one: don't wait as long as me, just go straight in now. Recommended book, and a recommended author (who needs to be getting more out there).
on 9 September 2009
Whereas the first couple of books had several stories that were later revealed to be connected, this one is like the third book - all obviously based around one plot. It loses nothing by doing this though, as it is well written and paced.
The story revolves around an unknown group that will apparently go to any lengths to obtain something created by Merlin and hidden in the deepest levels of the Twilight, with the 'focal point' of the powers related to it centred in Edinburgh.
The book goes into a lot more detail about the various levels of the Twilight, as it is central to the story as well as what happens to magicians who have died.
The action sequences within it are very good, showing situations where even the most powerful magicians can be caught out by modern technology.
The story keeps you guessing until the very end, as all good plots should. There are references to previous stories within the series and I believe knowing the previous stories does help - in this case there would be too many questions if you haven't read at least the previous book in the series.
Well worth buying and hopefully, one day there will be more.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 November 2008
Chapter 5 is there in the first part but missing from the 2nd part.
A Russian friend is letting me know what each chapter starts with in her book as it seems, its just the English ones that have this mistake.

The publisher/printer need to be shot for this and all monies returned for not selling the correct product.

I give the book 5 stars.
I give the Publisher/printer zero for their crappy service.

I have just bought the ebook version of this For $3, and lo & behold the missing Chapter is there....Woohoo

I think the publishers/Printers should have sent this Chapter out to all who bought this book....they should be shot.
on 19 February 2010
All his books are brilliant, of course. I do not rate this as the best of the series myself, but only by a whisker; his standards of storytelling, exploration of morality and ambiguity, and thoughtfulness, continue as high as ever. Will there be more in the series? I do hope so. And will a publisher please translate some of his many other books from the Russian. I cannot imagine him as producing anything less than interesting.
on 10 April 2014
All of the books in this series are simply fantastic. I was having withdrawal symptoms from reading Game of Thrones and Stephen Kings Dark Tower Series. I wasn't sure I would enjoy what I thought was a horror genre. How wrong was I? Firstly, the books are not a horror genre. They are beautifully translated and keep you captured throughout. I love the way Sergei Lukyanenko tells three little stories to solve a bigger mystery.
on 30 September 2012
Having read the previous series from the author, I was surprised to see this advertised as I was not aware of his writing it. Needless to say I did not regret getting the Kindle version - better price and easy to read, it was a definite hit. The use of familiar characters makes it easy for the reader to engage with the plot and his writing is as good as ever. Highly recommended to fans and newcomers should read the previous trilogy first to best enjoy it.
on 6 November 2015
I love this series - I will be very sad when I finish them all. I really enjoy the fantasy novels, but it's the insight into Russian culture that has made this series particularly interesting.
on 25 October 2014
Great book, very exciting couldnt put it down, its very frustrating that the russian film of this is badly dubbed as this set of books is superb, heaps better than Twilight
on 11 February 2009
I have read the previous three books in the Trilogy - Nightwatch, Daywatch and Twilight Watch. I have really enjoyed all four books. I got into the books after seeing Nightwatch on Film 4 late one night, I never realised the Russians could make such a fantastic film. The films are different from the books which was a little disappointing but equally great. It is a shame there are not more easy to read books like these.
on 6 September 2017