After Dark
Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 February 2016
I read this book for the Popsugar Reading Challenge 2016. I’m doing the challenge in category order. This is my book for the ‘a book translated into English’ category.

After Dark is one of the best and most challenging books I’ve read in ages. I loved it. This is not my usual sort of book. At times it was like being trapped in some weird, disjoined and trippy dream; the kind of dreams where there are lots of shadows and things you can never quite see. I quite enjoyed being pulled along by Murakami’s amazing, vivid and descriptive writing. I’m not a fan of hard books and tend to get on better with books I can get through fairly quickly. This is the kind of book that reminds you of how good it feels to be completely absorbed in what an author has created between the pages (or between the back and front cover of my Kindle). I thought this was a wonderful, surprising book. I need to read more by this author.
on 3 January 2016
Murakami has been my favourite author for the last 3 years, ever since reading 1Q84. I finished After Dark this morning. Very disappointed after the superlative of the preceeding pages.

Is it enough to suggest that life continues its inevitable cycle, or that life is mysterious without hope of resolution, or any other myriad ending you might wish to conjure up?

My disappointment rests with the investment of interest in all of the characters alive in this novella. I want the book to continue, to explain, to entertain and move towards some kind of resolution. It doesn't. That is a huge shame.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 January 2012
It is hard to say why this is so captivating, but believe me it is. Focusing around the events of one night with a small group of linked but largely unrelated characters, After Dark creates an atmosphere of the big city at night - mostly asleep - and the strange world of those who, for one reason or another are still awake. As with the other Murakami works that i have read this is less a story than a kind of painting - an image created from which you can take what you will - rather than a conventional plot and narrative line.

I found myself wanting to press on and read this straight through - and it is a short book at 201 pages - not to find out what happens, because not much does, but to stay in the mood it creates. A bit like staying up all night in a big city.

Enjoy - especially if you are a night person, you will recognise the feeling this creates

Recommended
on 21 January 2010
Murakami delivers his exceptional flavour of alienation in this original book. Although not quite as involved as some of his other books, i.e. "Kafka" or "Hardboiled", there is no dilution of character or story. This is rather a snapshot of a single night between roughly midnight and dawn, written in an incredibly fluid real-time.

The characters are believable and sympathetic, as well as being wonderfully enigmatic. The prose is stylish and inspiring, but perhaps not to everybody's taste. The author's voice is particularly strong in this one and if the first page puts you off, you may or may not get over it to enjoy the rest of this heartbreaking story.

There's the usual twist of the bizarre, but it is not as macabre as some of his other tails. The character is the focus, and although this is perhaps a postmodern experiment in "extended flash fiction" there is no loss of life (in the sense of characterisation - I wouldn't spoil the plot!).

The threads of the stories come together with great emotion. There is an underlying feeling of power to Murakami's words in this one - it almost induces genuine panic or heartbreak or hope, despite being such a fast read.

Very beautiful, however if you want more substance to story rather than character perhaps seek out "Kafka" or "South of the Border" if you haven't already read them.

7 / 10

David Brookes
Author of "Half Discovered Wings"
on 28 June 2017
I always have the same feeling anytime I finish off a Murakami's: seriously? Well written, that is out of the question; very promising at the beginning but all books finish without an end, before telling the story. He spends 300 pages preparing to tell you a promising story and out of the blue, the book is over and nothing has been told.
on 11 December 2016
I just didn't get it. It is very filmy in style and if you saw it at the movies you'd be taking an interest in the popcorn and wondering what and why.

I found the characters had little depth and almost cartoon-like.
on 1 August 2014
I think I enjoyed this book. It's an interesting journey if not slightly obtuse, enjoyed the characters and the dialogue but came out the other end not quite sure whether or not I'd recommend it to others.

Odd, captivating, thoughtful, moody.
on 3 October 2011
This doesn't reach the heights of Norwegian Wood (think I've started at the top and I'm working my way down at the moment) this just doesn't have the same sort of impact. It was however effortlessly readable, set over the course of one night, a young girl moves from one incident to another, while her disconnected sister sleeps a bizarre and seemingly ever lasting sleep. It is a little too slight.
on 20 November 2016
I've yet to read a Murakami novel I don't enjoy and this certainly doesn't buck the trend. I'm left with questions about characters but in no way am I dissatisfied. I can't wait to discuss this at book club!
on 24 January 2017