Eric Clapton: The Autobiography
Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 June 2017
This is an autobiography and Eric Clapton is a musician , not a writer and it shows in the style of writing .
The text is sometimes a bit clunky but I feel its written from the heart .
EC seems to have had it all ; fame and money at a very early age is not always a good combination .
His descent into alcohol and drug abuse has been well documented but in this book, you feel like you are going down with him - its a no holds barred kind of feeling .
He writes from the heart about losing his son and meeting his wife Melia and his feelings on becoming a father to three girls .

Its an interesting book , not terribly "in depth" at times , but it does show that when ghost writers write autobiographies they tend to use a lot of "fill" to make the book longer maybe or to dramatise certain events - there's none of that in this book - its very "down to earth ".

I wish Eric well, , he's been part of my own life for a very long time and given a lot of pleasure through his music and guitar playing and I hope that although he's now 72 with very young daughters , he lives a long and happy life and sees them grow up without any of the problems he himself experienced .
Thanks for the insight Eric .
on 30 September 2015
I’ve never met Eric Clapton but whenever I’ve seen him interviewed, he always seems like a very likeable guy to me. He’s also an incredible guitar player and I am a fan of his music. So I was keen to read this book to get a better appreciation of the man himself. Well obviously he’s a rock star, so you’d expect self-centred tales of sex, drugs, booze and life on the road. And essentially that’s what you get here. However it is actually a compelling, down-to-earth and very honest account of his life and his struggles with addictions. Well addictions or obsessions depending on your point of view. Eric is no saint and he doesn’t claim to be otherwise. He’s made mistakes and done things of which he is not proud now. Nevertheless he puts his hand up, takes responsibility and at least he seems to have learned from his mistakes. And that’s what I liked most about this book. An autobiography is always better when the subject is able to put their experiences into context and express the lessons they’ve learned. He’s had good times and bad; he’s enjoyed success and he’s suffered misfortune, particularly the sad death of his son Conor. However at no time does he wallow in self-pity. In fact he manages to remain philosophical throughout. Despite his setbacks he has sustained a level of success that few could match. He remains highly respected for his music and his back catalogue and yet he’s also managed to remain a fairly well-grounded individual, or so it would seem. By the end of the book I still found him a very likeable individual. He seems like the type of guy who’d make a very good friend. And I suspect that is why he remains popular as a musician and retains the respect of his peers and everyone who knows him. If you enjoy autobiographies and you’re interested in understanding what drives successful people then this book is a good read. Even if you’re just a fan of rock music this book is worth the effort. Certainly I enjoyed it and I can recommend it.
on 10 July 2015
I wasn't expecting all that much from this story - Having read quite a few star biographies lately, I thought it would be more of the same - Self-indulgence and childishness. Yes, it all began predictably like that, but in the end, it was a journey through personal pain into at least an attempt at self-discovery that actually helped me in my own addictions and troubles. I actually knew Eric a little back in the old days, we shared the same Manager (Robert Stigwood) and I shared a few dressing rooms and Nems reception chairs with Eric, and though I can't pretend we got to know each other well, he seemed a really nice guy at that time (unlike my impressions of Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce!). I'll read this book a few times. Despite all the fame and fortune, it's a journey about the struggles of life that many of us face, and the book helps share that pain and understanding. Good on you Eric.
on 27 November 2012
I did not think at the outset that this would appeal to me, but having downloaded a sample to my Kindle, I became more intrigued. I found this a very good read. Partly because I identified with Clapton's working class beginnings during the post War years, growing up in a semi rural environment, as I did, and also experiencing the early popular music broadcasts on radio and TV. Having been a semi pro musician myself for years, I also identified with his first forays into the world of bands and starting out on affordable guitars that were pretty poor products by today's standards.

The fire and passion that he put into his early playing are conveyed by the way that he used his guitar for expressing his emotions in ways that he otherwise felt inhibited about. He is very honest about his addictive personality and his over dependence on drugs and alcohol. He is also honest about his womanising and inability to commit to one lady at a time. He is clear that the effects of such dependency was a diminution of his musical powers over a number of years, now thankfully regained as he has conquered his personal challenges.

There were periods in his life where he was suicidal, but I found myself not especially sympathetic. This was because here was a man who jumped on the music bandwagon of the Sixties, always did what he wanted to do and made a good living doing the one thing in life that he was especially good at. Clapton comes across as articulate and comprehensive regarding the darker periods in his life, in spite of whatever substances were affecting him at the time.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in the British Rock/Blues scene or anyone with an interest in conquering addictions.
on 19 July 2016
Having recently read Cynthia Lennon and Mic Fleetwood which are great, this one is even better. It shows so much courage compared to the massive ego of Robert Plant who refuses to do anything other than a rehash of old media stories. Mr. Clapton bares his sole and leaves us wondering how he is still alive. One feels genuinely happy for the way life has turned out for him. I'd love to meet the guy who seems to have a refreshingly humble opinion of hi self.
on 10 May 2016
To write a good autobiography you have to be brutally honest and Clapton achieves this. It almost comes across as a final piece of exorcism re his well documented and conquered addictions. Strikes me as a good bloke now he has a clear head ( something reinforced if you watch him interviewed ). Get it and read it yourself. Thoroughly recommended and thanks for the great music Slowhand.
on 5 June 2012
I very much enjoyed this book. It was refreshing to read Eric Clapton's assessment of himself, and throughout you get the impression that he is a little embarrassed to tell us some of the things he does, written as it is from the perspective an older, sober and settled man, happy with his life. But he doesn't pretend that he is misunderstood or that others are to be blamed for his excesses - he takes it on the chin. There is no attempt to gloss over the bad bits, and the story tells us that what a person becomes depends on the whole of life, warts and all. It is something that age teaches most of us. The book is very moving in part: the passages leading up to his full realisation that he needed help and those concerning the death of his son stand out in particular. Eric seems to have been a true Journeyman, bringing his passion for the little known dimensions of blues music into the mainstream. His hero Robert Johnson would be well pleased with this story. It could be a blues song. An honest and open life-assessment, and in case Eric reads this - thanks.
on 11 May 2016
The title says It all Thank you to both the author but most of all to Eric Clapton Who has musical principles and took himself and us his fans on a brilliant musical journey Long may he continue to do so
on 18 April 2016
Thought it was quite sad. Read it after reading Pattie Boyd's book and that was sad too. I felt my own life story, adopted, dad died when I was 11 and mum and step dad same month as marriage went down the pan were nothing to reading these harrowing tales. Both readable.
on 22 March 2014
For any Clapton fan it's a must read and gives a lot into what drove the man

My only slight disappointment is that all the great music days cream, Derrick nod the dominoes Delaney n Bonnie, 461 ocean etc are all covered in the first 55% of the book and the last 45% is really about Eric's recovery. Which I realise is what probably saved his life but as a music fan I would have liked a bit more detail about the making if the classic albums, his time with Duane almond etc

But don't get me wrong still a very interesting read and for once the grammar etc is pretty good and the book flows nicely