Customer reviews

The Brother Gardeners: Botany, Empire and the Birth of an Obsession
Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 December 2014
Interesting piece of history but seemed to slow down the further I gotinto it. Not much about the actual plant hunting-more about the politics and letters collectors sent each other.Maybe I was expecting too much.
on 20 May 2016
A very well written book about a relatively unknown aspect of horticultural history. I had not previously heard of John Bartram, the American farmer who became a botanical expert and his long association with Collinson the English cloth merchant. Andrea Wulf introduces many fascinating 18th century characters and sets them firmly in the context of their extraordinary times. A great read even if one is not especially interested in plants, but for those who are, suberb.
on 11 June 2016
Extremely well written and researched story of the start of the passion for gardening in Britain. Men risked their lives to find new plants in foreign fields, something we do not think about when pottering around the garden centres and flower shows. Well done Andrea Wulf for bringing the story of gardening to light. I view the "ordinary" rhododendron, magnolia etc with respect now.
on 8 April 2008
Happy 63rd birthday to me! My daughter gave me this book on saturday knowing I am obsesed with gardening and spend all my time, according to her, up to me elbows in manure (manure is a polite version of the word she actually used!). I am not generally a great fan of history - probably becaue of school, ie give me a nursery plantlist every time - but I loved this book. Amazing to find out that so many of the plants I grow (and sweat so much blood over) aren't British. Full of great nuggets, so thank you Marianne.
on 7 October 2009
Very well written in a chatty style, and an excellent framework for a story that is as gripping as a novel, yet as factual as history. Fascinating to gardeners, lovers of plants, and those who just enjoy the minutiae of history. I am already looking forward to reading it again.
on 12 January 2016
I love this book. It is extremely informative, and Andrea Wulf has a very engaging literary style. The Brother Gardeners: Botany, Empire and the Birth of an Obsession
on 18 May 2015
A must for anyone interested in the history of gardening and plants. Couldn't put it down. Full of surprising information and daring adventure too.
on 23 September 2016
Excellent writing and a comprehensive account of the development of gardening on the grand scale and the foundations of botany.
on 7 November 2016
I just love this book. Excellent writing - well researched - could hardly put it down.
on 11 May 2014
It was fascinating to find out where the plants in our gardens came from, who was responsible for their discovery and for bringing them to Britain. Also, Andrea Wulf has such a light touch that we hardly notice that we're also reading the history of so many countries. A book to read for pleasure, to learn from and to keep for reference. The Glossary is a treasure-house on its own.