Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 May 2015
Sometimes deeply thoughtful, always truthful, frequently very funny, I know these people, we have the same heartbeat. I wish it weren't so bleak, I treasure the moments of humanity, but recognise the fragile, hopeless, dysfunction. I am a grandchild of such a large Irish family, and the generations before. The shoes are in place before the child begins to walk. All are loved, theoretically, some more than others. The differences are sharp and vicious. The stories of favouritism , preference, alliance and cliques uncomfortable. The longing for recognition and simple love as an individual, painful. I grew up thinking that a big loving family was exotic and magnificent. I learned, as I grew older, that they were all terribly alone, and that alliances were made and broken, over and over. Loved this book for something I can see as true.
on 1 March 2017
If you were born before 1970, if you're female, if you're Irish or Scottish in origin you will recognise this story. If you're not any of these things, you will too.
on 21 August 2016
I thought this book was amazing .Couldnt put down .Beautiful prose .Fascinating story line .Just my cup of tea .Just about to download another of her books .I feel at a loss because I've finished the book .
on 14 May 2017
I really enjoyed this book and found it a very easy read.
on 20 May 2017
Great novel. Superb writer thank you
on 6 December 2015
Insightful and moving, and written with beautifully understated lyricism.
on 28 May 2016
An excellent read, not as good as The Green Road in my opinion. They both have similar themes and Enright's skill in controlling plot and emotion is brilliant.
on 29 April 2017
a disjointed storyline, if you could call it that, didn't really find out what the story was about!
on 13 December 2012
Don't buy this book if you want a 'good story' that's got a clear beginning, middle and end (so as to avoid you getting confused about the time setting), in which nothing too upsetting happens, through which you are accompanied by a thoroughly likeable character and at the end of which you - and your book club, if you're in one - can all rejoice and heartily recommend to others. But oh, read it if you love poetry, if you want to sit - a little uneasily at times maybe - and listen to a woman more troubled than likeable, assailed by ghosts from an unresolved past and searching - at times quite desperately - for some sort of sense in the life she has lived and is living now. I'd not read any Anne Enright before but heard 'The Gathering' discussed on 'A Good Read' where it was either loved or thoroughly disliked. It was the one-star Amazon comments that finally persuaded me to buy a copy. I think it's a beautiful book.
on 23 October 2016