Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 February 2002
I know the description above probably might seem a little cliched, and the stuff of paperback reviews, but I really did find the stories excellent, particularly 'Goodbye Columbus'. The only problem I could see was that some aspects of its sexual politics might need to be explained to people who didn't grow up in 1940s and '50s America... Nevertheless, the story's sharpness and originality have stood the test of time and it still carries a real sting, and some psychological truths, over 40 years later.
The other stories are also insightful and engrossing and well worth reading.
I'd recommend the book to anyone.
on 10 June 2012
I've just discovered Philip Roth and I think I've found my kind of author. Besides the fact that all stories in this book focus on the Jewish customs and way of living (something I found tedious), Roth approaches life and all of its hidden aspects with such brilliance. I found myself smiling at his genius in the precision of words he used to describe the narrator's feelings and secret thoughts. He really gets you into the protagonist's head and helps you relate to him/her. Great writer!
on 2 October 2014
Enjoyed the short story format and Roth's amusng.readable style (and Jewish angst!).
on 30 January 2015
Not excellent, but good. After all, it is a Roth..
on 30 May 2016
Loved the book.
on 22 May 2016
Great read
on 5 June 2016
A very interersting book. I have just started reading this book, but so far I am enjoying it. Poor librarian meets and falls in love with spoilt, rich sociolite etc
on 26 September 2014
Peculiar style of writing and an even odder storyline. very modern I suppose for the time it was written
on 30 June 2014
Yep.
on 4 November 1998
a very interesting debate about love of social classes