Customer reviews

Amaretto, Apple Cake and Artichokes: The Best of Anna Del Conte
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 March 2017
A super book for all those interested in Italian cooking. Recipes are clearly given and easy to follow.
on 25 August 2017
useful
on 29 June 2017
What Delia is to English cooking Anna Del Conte does the same for Italian cooking
on 5 April 2017
A good recipe book but no photos
on 18 May 2017
Briliant in every way. Beautiful, unaffected writing and simple Italian cooking the way it really is in Italy. This book shows me how to cook like my Italian friends. But what a surprise when I unpacked it - this elegant, classic work is printed so cheaply that even the title on the cover is lop-sided, the pages inside are packed with print to within a millimetre of the top of the page, the quality of the paper is horrible, and so on, the book is fat and tightly bound and will never lie flat or sit well in the hands. As bad as some of the horrible Penguin reprints of Elizabeth David or Jane Grigson classics - grey paper and grey print and everything printed squint and lopsided.

I'm really not a bibliophile - just I think this writer deserves better than this. Some drawings or photos would be nice too, but the main thing is the quality of the book. I hope we'll see a hardback edition some day that does justice to this marvellous writer.
on 4 October 2010
If you are looking for a book to teach you how Italian food from simple and few ingredients, makes fabulous food, this is the book for you. Del Conte's good name as a food writer is well-earned. Well-detailed descriptions of procedure guarantee good results provided you make sure your ingredients are the very best of there kind: as any Italian cook would.
on 26 November 2006
I have a couple of Anna del Conte's books already, including "The Gastronomy of Italy" which is a truly fantastic book. I was slightly worried that this might be a rehash of her other work, but not at all! I haven't come across a duplicated recipe yet.

The book is divided into chapters focussed on key foods including: pasta; rice; bread; pulses; fish; molluscs; meat and poultry; prosciutto, salame and all that; vegetables; wild mushrooms and truffles; cheeses; fruit; nuts etc. which I've found very useful in practice, rather than the more usual antipasti, primi, secondi etc.

She writes very evocatively about food, always relating a certain preparation to a person or place, as is so often the case in Italy.

Her instructions are always clear and reliable - I've never made anything which turned out to be less than delicious, even first time out.

Anna del Conte is highly regarded in Italy as a writer on Italian food, and has won many awards there for her work (no Jamie Oliver interloper she!). This book is a really useful investment for anyone interested in Italian food, and how to cook simply and well.
on 28 June 2010
I really love this book. I only bought it last week but I have already made three things out of it.

I have heard about Anna before, mostly through Nigella Lawson's programs so I thought I would give her a try. I was a little worried as there are no pictures in the book and I haven't cooked that much authentic Italian food before, only the stereotypical dishes that you find in most cookbooks. However the recipes are very clear and easy to follow. The dishes I have made so far are absolutely delicious, healthy and so fresh and flavoursome and the ingredients are have been easily available at my local supermarket and fruit market. Plus the dishes are authentic!!

I love this book so much that I have already ordered three of Anna's other books that are now out of print from Amazon. I highly recommend this book!
on 25 August 2011
A wonderful collection of the best Italian recipes. One of my "foodie" friends says that it would be his choice of "the book" for his desert island!
on 29 August 2009
This is a wonderful compilation of Anna Del Conte's "best" recipes (although all of them are best!) which is a must if you haven't managed to buy her earlier books, most of which are out of print. Fabulous recipes, most easy but not all and perfect to create a real Italian evening. If you haven't any other of hers and even if you have, do buy!