on 10 April 2017
This book opens brightly as the scene is set for the author’s decision to embark on an epic motorcycle journey. Her account of life in the BBC, that she wants to escape from, is laugh out loud funny. The light-hearted approach continues as she starts he journey in Alaska but as she works her way south it starts to wear thin. These type of travelogue books need more to sustain the narrative than repeated anecdotes about latin lotharios, corrupt cops, bike repairs etc... There is very little in this book that tells us about the places she has visited. Instead we get a very narrow perspective contained by her immediate experiences which makes for an underwhelming book.
on 31 May 2017
I read this book out of sequence, having discovered Lois via her third book "Revolutionary Ride" which I heartily recommend. I would compare her to a modern day Eric Newby. Disarmingly charming and has a knack of reporting on her difficulties with understatement and an affinity with her fellow human, regardless of whether they are being helpful, intrusive, obstructive or aggressive. The only thing she will not tolerate is the mundane, which we are all secretly trying to escape. Totally refreshing. Just read it. I've ordered the second book already.
on 2 August 2017
I met Lois at the local TVAM meeting. This is one bouncy girl!

I liked the story, however I felt the last section (from the Cape of Good Hope to Bueuno Aires) was a bit rushed.

It would have been nice to have a quick update on the characters we met on the digital version at the end.
on 18 July 2011
Iread this book in a couple of days, just couldn't put it down!
The book is a great read, informative, very funny in parts, all in all it's a very good book!
I take my hat off to her for jacking in her boring job at the BBC, and embarking on such a mega ride on a Yamaha Serow trail bike!
It must have been one hell of a journey on such a small motorbike, from Anchorage to the southern tip of South America.
But she seemed to take everything in her stride without too many problems,she even had the company of 2 other women bikers for parts of the trip.
A recommended read for anyone interested in adventure travel, motorcycling, or just wanting a really good read!
I can't wait to start reading her other book, Red tape and White knuckles!
on 21 March 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It is well written with shrewd observations of both the landscape and it's inhabitants in a style that is both factual and humorous. Keep `er lit, as they say here.
on 30 October 2017
Great read
on 12 June 2016
arrived promptly and as described.
on 13 June 2017
As always Lois writes a enjoyable and realistic journey
on 23 October 2017
Good book arrived alright with no problems
on 20 September 2017
Interesting read.can pick holes in the route she took.but humerus and we'll written