on 19 September 2012
I have read all of Tom Sharpe's books and thoroughly enjoyed the majority of them. In addition to the joys of his barbed - but very true - comments on a wide range of subjects, the vivid characterisation and crazy situations which he creates are at times laugh-out-loud funny. More than once, I've made the mistake of reading them in public and been unable to restrain myself, earning glares or quizzical glances from strangers. Sadly, age seems to be catching up with the author here, and this novel lacks the sparkle and originality of much of his previous work, despite the familiarity of the main character.
on 10 April 2012
I've read all the reviews, good & bad and I have to say that those who give this book a low mark should think a little deeper. The only thing that's changed is us. Tom Sharpe's writing style has not changed in all these years, to really appreciate this book you need to transport yourself back to the 80s and remember what made you laugh at all his other books back then. Try watching "The Young Ones" or "Aufweiderzein Pet" today, I bet you don't laugh as much as you did the first time around.....I have to admit, this book wasn't particularly funny until I got myself into the zone. Once there, I couldn't stop laughing...Just like I did the very first time I read his books
9 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 14 February 2016
Typical Sharpe, not his greatest by any means, the climax is not as compelling as some others and the denoument is sudden and disappointing but it's a quick easy read with some good giggles along the way. Not the Sharpe book to start with, if you haven't read the rest then start with his earliest and work forwards, his best comedy was in Riotous Assembly, Indecent Exposure and the first Wilt novel.
on 9 April 2013
Personally, having read all the Wilt books I feel that the Wilt books are in their own league of twisted humour, and Tom Sharpe does have a very twisted sense of humour! His descriptions of the ludicrous situations had me laughing out loud. The stories are always off the wall and this one is in the vein. Search the internet to get the list and then read them all ... in order. Absolutely superb!
on 21 June 2011
I'm a huge fan of the early Sharpe novels - the first 2 Wilts, and the 2 SA novels were stupendously good and genuinely laugh-out-loud funny. The other older books were hit and miss, but they at least had a density of story to them which the last Wilt (before this one) lacked, being both without humour and very short.

This one is unfortanately cut from the same cloth as Wilt in Nowhere - short & entirely lacking in humour - but was a somewhat better read, which just about earns it a 2nd star. As delighted as I was to see another Wilt book available, it's really a pale shadow of the originals. It's not a particularly bad book, but it's not a particularly good one either.
One person found this helpful
on 17 May 2018
A very good read adult humour with good characterisation would recommend to other readers can be read easily in short periods
on 16 August 2016
Revisited Wilt after having read the first three many years ago. It either hasn't aged well or this just really is a nothing story with none of the original humour and appeal.
on 31 May 2014
I have read all Tom Sharpe's novels and particularly enjoy the Wilt books. This one however was rather devoid of any comedic content and failed to raise a single laugh out loud, which places it apart from it's predecessors. An easy read but only in the hope that it would improve. It didn't.
on 25 October 2017
great fan of Tom Sharpe, bought to replace a loaned unreturned copy
on 3 August 2011
Was a bit disappointed in this book, even though Tom Sharpe is heading back to his previous form. It had all the makings of a "Wilt" story, but the humour is just not the same as it used to be. Maybe I've grown up a bit since the first Wilt episode and I have changed... If you are a Tom Sharpe fan its worth buying, but not up to the standard of the previous Wilt books.
One person found this helpful