Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 November 2006
This is a truly amazing book.

I have read many of the Chris Ryan books in the past aimed at the adult readers and this is the first time I have ventured into the 'teenage fiction' Chris Ryan books.

The plot is amazing and follows a 13 year old child from Macclesfield through his fight for survival on the flooded streets of London as a ship crashes into the Thames flood barrier in bad weather causing Greater London to be completely flooded with amazing descriptions, making it possible to imagine exactly what the devestation is like.

The realism is beyond belief and at times I could almost feel water around my feet it is that real! The story is not just about his fight for survival, but the effects Global warming has on the Earth. It made me rather worried about the future situation we may face if we continue to act as we do with our climate as the events in this book may be more common in the future.

Overall, the book is highly realistic, has one of the best storylines I have ever read and is highly realistic.

If you liked the 'Alpha Force' series by Chris Ryan, 'CHERUB' series by Robert Muchamore or 'Alex Rider' series by Anthony Horowitz you would love this book.

I would strongly recommend it.
on 23 August 2006
This book is wicked for anyone. Its got lots of action, humour as well as the message - we need to stop global warming!!! This book has a very good storyline and follows many different characters after the Thames Barrier in London collapses causing most of London to be under water. Not only does this book show some of the scray effects of global warming, it also shows different sides of human nature and serves as a warning to us all as well as being an enjoyable read. Buy It!!!
on 3 March 2016
The first in the Ben Tracey series of books. These are primarily aimed at younger readers but they are still great stories for adults to read.Featuring a flash flood when the Thames Barrier is overwhelmed this has all the ingredients that make Chris's books thrilling
on 26 June 2016
During a long solo drive you are a bit of a captive audience so I should have enjoyed this more than I did. The characters were so predictable and politically correct, there were a few bright spots but not enough to make it good.
on 13 September 2010
I borrowed this book from a library and had mild reservations by chapter 11.At chapter 10, 11 and 12 Chris Ryan introduces a lot of characters who aren't important.
The series(code red) is too predictible and unrealistic.
I wouldn't recommend it to Cherub fans,Alex Rider fans or Young Bond fans or people who like other teen heroes.
on 28 October 2015
A really good series of books from a brilliant author.

I am one of these people who like attention to detail, though, and I was disappointed by some (in my opinion) errors:

A Chief Police Commissioner? Is this a mixture of a Chief Constable and the Metropolitan Police Commissioner?
Puma Helicopters operated by the British Army? Whilst Army Air Corps pilots and aircrew might be on exchange tours with the RAF, the Puma is operated by the RAF.
American Armed Forces on a facility in the Australian Desert using AK-47 Kalashnikov Rifles? More likely to have been M-16 rifles.
Do RAF 'soldiers' - I guess this refers to RAF Regiment airman - really call their officers 'Ruperts' like they do in the British Army..

A truly enjoyable,read.

Oh yeah! and if Ben was my kid he'd be wrapped up in cotton wool and not let out of my sight til he was drawing his pension.
on 7 June 2016
I read a lot of teenage fiction, but I found this to be a somewhat tiresome read. The storyline meanders along with no clear purpose or suspense and there are an excessive number of parallel plotlines with frequent jumping between them.
on 13 July 2006
The First time I read chris ryan, i read blackout, then greed then flash flood, flash flood has to be the best out of all three, this is his first code red book chris ryan has wrote and his next one is coming in 2007, keep up the good work chris!
on 16 March 2013
This is an account of a flood - that's all folks. There really isn't a story told at all. The book drags on until, rather than coming to a conclusion, it just drops dead on the spot. The title just about sums up the book - watery. Thank you Chris Ryan for not making it a longer read.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 April 2013
One star is only my opinion.
The book was too far fetched in respect of a young boy having the thoughts of an experienceed person.
I would hate to think what the PM was doing during this flood