Brother Grimm
Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 January 2012
Having got into Russell through his Lennox stories I was expecting these Munich based police tales to be more of the same. They are not. These are much more multi layered, serious and complex. Lennox is a bit of solo act where as Jan Fabel leads a team of crack police men and women all with different back stories and attitudes which makes a tasty bread sandwich in which the meaty murders themselves can sit between!

I always find murder mysteries incredibly hard to review because I want to give absolutely nothing away. What I can tell you is that the author uses 'points of view' very well here, so we get an insight into the killers mind and motives without knowing which of the suspects they are.

What I also like is that stories in the lives of the police team are picked up and moved along from where they finished last time so for readers new to the series you would be advised to read them in order or be left scratching your head a bit in a few places though not enough to be excluded from the drama.

I think this is a step up from Russell's first book. It's more of a nail biter and he involves the reader far more in the murder themselves this time by putting us into the head of the victems rather than them being just corpses as they were last time out. The 'Grimms Fairy tale' plot was also an eiry and clever bit of background.

I am very much a fan of Russell's writing and now a fan of this series too. I will be back to it very shortly!
on 14 August 2015
This is the second in the Hamburg series and is excellent -very exciting and with an unforeseen twist at the end. Start with Blood Eagle and you will have to get this one. I have just ordered the next in the series - they are addictive. Not for the squeamish, though.
on 27 January 2015
Very unusual story line but one that was clearly well researched. All came together well at the end. Glad I have read it.
on 21 September 2017
I absolutely loved this book. Kept me on edge and I just couldn't put it down.
I would recommend.
on 27 February 2014
one of a series of stories about Hamburg detective well written with good characters if a little bizarre nevertheless very enjoyable
on 4 August 2014
Another great book from this author. Tense and thrilling if you like Craig Russell try this series.
on 16 January 2015
An absolutely gripping read! Love the way the fairy tales are given a modern twist. Enjoyed the author s knowledge /description of Hamburg and the German police forces- Fabel is a believable & interesting detective!!! Definitely worth more than 5 stars!!!
on 13 January 2015
a fabulous read, another jan fabel masterpiece, highly recommended
on 29 November 2014
Good psychological study of the characters, even if somehow a cliché.
on 2 October 2015