on 6 June 2018
This is a brilliant book giving a great insight into everyday life in that period. G. Heyer and Austen only concentrated on the upper echelons of society but understood how each class interacted with the others. You get a palpable feel of how life was at the time, although the misery of the rural poor and the factory workers is only hinted at.
It should be prescribed reading for anyone attempting a Regency novel, then maybe we would be spared some of the howlers that occur, particularly in some American books!
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 December 2009
I first read Georgette Heyer's novels over 30 years ago and I wish this book had been around then. It makes interesting reading for anyone interested in social history as well as fans of Heyer's novels. There are chapters on famous people of the era, newspapers and magazines, clothes, shops and books read as well as food eaten and social etiquette.

Most of the information is referenced to one or more of Heyer's Regency novels. The only down side as far as I am concerned is that it only covers the Regency novels and some of my particular favourites were set in the eighteenth century, but as a companion to the Regency novels alone this is excellent.

The book contains a historical timeline of events from the start of the Georgian era to the end of the Regency - which is useful. There are also brief plot summaries of the 26 Regency novels. I found the book revived happy memories of reading Georgette Heyer's novels and I have gone back to re-reading them all with pleasure. It is written in an accessible style and is very enjoyable to read - I recommend it.
20 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 30 July 2012
Definitely a book for dipping into rather than reading cover to cover as I did. It will be a useful reference book for me from now on, however.

It covers essential material about social life and manners of the upper set during the Regency period, but has very little to say about the lower orders. To be fair, Jennifer Kloester does point this out at the beginning of the book.

Where clothing, pastimes and shopping are concerned it is an absolute goldmine and it is full of information about gender roles and expectations, though this can become a little tedious to read. After all, if you read Heyer much of this information can be gleaned from her stories without being made explicit.

The appendices are especially fun if you want to start reusing some prime Regency phraseology or learn who the key figures in society and literature were.

The allusions to Heyer's novels are really only useful if you have read them all and know them in detail and so might be tedious for the general reader (but then maybe you wouldn't buy this book if you were a general reader). It is still worth having a look at for interest's sake, though maybe not for in depth historical research.
2 people found this helpful
on 9 February 2014
I love Georgette Heyer's novels and I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I hadn't known before that the true regency lasted for only nine years, this explains why only 26 books are featured and why for example, Regency Buck is included but not an Infamous Army in which some of the same characters appears or its two prequels These Old Shades and Devil's Cub. Georgette Heyer was such a clever writer, weaving her imaginary characters seamlessly into real events and places and having them interact with real people. If you have ever wanted to know the difference between a perch phaeton and a phaeton, who Golden Ball and Poodle Byng were or what a light nuncheon consisted of, this is the book for you. One minor niggle some of the pictures and images don't display well on Kindle. I would recommend this book to all Georgette Heyer fans.
on 1 May 2015
This has so many reviews already! However, one of the very first ones complained that there was nothing about Golden Ball in the book,
and I can assure anyone reading this that there is a whole section about him. The book is a nice accompaniment, for delving into whilst reading Georgette Heyer, or even after.
on 25 February 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I've always meant to read it but never got round to it. I am jolly pleased I did and as I have read Geirgette Heyer's books dozens of times I new the references immediately. There was also some explaination of familiar France'
on 3 September 2014
Essential reading for fans of Georgette Heyer's Regency romances. I'm being picky but I could have done with a few more fashion illustrations and there are still a few words which are used in the novels but not explained in the book but, overall, I wouldn't be without it and have referred to it many times.
on 21 March 2018
A great insight into the Regency
on 12 July 2017
Very interesting
on 24 February 2014
This is a lovely little book all about the Regency world so many of Georgette Heyer's characters inhabit. It tells you about clothing, food, manners....

Lots of information, illustrations. My only caveat is that I would have liked more.