Customer reviews

Ireland: Awakening
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 July 2017
I hardly know anything about the history of Ireland, such unique country . This book based on historical facts, sewn by the imagination of the author on a vivid tissue that helps to understand a little of the culture of the Irish people.
on 29 July 2017
I read the paper back version a few years ago and after a holiday in the Dublin I wanted to refresh my memory about the history of the area and I am not disappointed. . Now I want to return to Dublin and visit places mentioned in the book.
on 21 May 2017
Am only half way through it but definitely his best since New York - yes, I have read a number of his other novels. As usual it is full of all sorts of interesting facts and the the narrative quite rattles along.
on 4 September 2017
Caught me and held me from the first page. The descriptions and language were mesmerising. Beautifully written and researched with great care. As a woman with Irish ancestry it drew me in and held me to the last line. I look forward with great anticipation to more of Mr Rutherford's novels.
on 22 May 2017
A wonderful book, so much history but also interesting fictional characters. I have learned so much about Dublin's history. i would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in Irish history.
on 28 April 2017
OK
on 18 August 2017
Very good book, great story and incredible background history. The item was not quite as described though, pages were very "yellowed" and cover creased not what I would call very good condition
on 9 June 2017
A riverting read....full of history,told in an entertaining way.
on 29 December 2015
I ordered 'The Princes of Ireland' and 'The Rebels of Ireland' believing they were new additions to the 'Dublin Saga', and was not pleased when I found out that these were originally published under the titles of 'Dublin' and 'Ireland Awakening'.
I feel that I have been invited to obtain books which I already had - indeed Amazon actually sold me one. Consequently I have paid for two books unnecessarily.
on 5 January 2005
Possibly only Edward Rutherford has the vision to write a book of this magnitude and spanning so many centuries. For anyone even remotely interested in history (albeit woven into a fictional story) his books are a must.
This book reveals the history of Ireland, both ancient and relatively modern from the focal point of the capital of the country.
It begins in pre-christian Ireland. From this beginning the author takes the reader through the centuries, through a cast of characters including the druids, clan chiefs, smugglers, nobles and mercenaries, noble men and women etc. The book covers many of the major events in Irish history, including the Vikings who incidentally founded the port of Dublin.
The book is the first of a two part epic. and draws to a close in the Reformation, a major turning point in Irish history.
To gather all the necessary information to write a book such as this is a major task in itself and to then weave it into a spellbinding story is an act of writing genius.