Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 July 2007
I love reading - and reading Georgette Heyer has always been one of my biggest pleasures ever since my Mum lent me one of hers when I was in bed with 'flu!
This story, however, was one that had passed me by until recently, which is a real shame as it is such a lovely one. The setting is pastoral Georgian England with the hero, Gervase, as a respected soldier reluctantly returning to take charge of his inherited estates. The story revolves around a cast of - as usual - intriguing characters who live in and around Gervase's Stanyon estate. All but Theo (Gervase's impoverished cousin who acts as bailiff) and guest Drusilla (the unassuming, practical daughter of revolutionary writer parents, off discussing how to rid the country of its nobility in the Lake District) cannot stand the fact that Gervase survived the wars, which leads to the well-written mystery part of the tale when his life comes under threat.
Spoilt half-brother Martin (prime suspect) and his mother (the matriarch who thwarts Gervase at every turn) provide brilliant villainous parts in this, a story of suspicion, attempted murder, subtle revenge and slowly growing love in an English village. A definite must-read. Then when you've read it once, read it again and see if you can pick up on any of the subtle clues...!
on 7 December 2000
I have been a fan of Georgette Heyer ever since I read Arabella at the age of thirteen. I have read all of her books and they have yet to disappoint - The Quiet Gentleman is certainly no exception.
This novel is perhap not as dazzling as the wonderful Regency Buck for example, nor does it have the swashbuckling antics of The Masqueraders. However, the plot is sound, the characters sympathetic and Heyer creates one of her funniest and most dreadful matriarchs in Gervase's "wicked stepmother". This novel moves with a good deal of quiet enjoyment taking pleasure in the little absurdities of everyday life. There is a subplot of mystery and murder, yet this is exited as unobtrusively as it is introduced.
In Drusilla Morville we again meet a heroine who is neither dazzling or beautiful, but sensible, practical and intelligent. My only quibble in an otherwise wonderful book, is that the understanding between Gervase and Miss Morville does seem to spring up from nowhere. However despite this, the novel rolls along supported by a fine cast of incidental characters and the denouement is as satisfying as any Heyer novel, romance intermingling as ever with gentle comedy.
A wonderful tale in which our hero is steadfast in the face of slurs on his character, a miserable and unwelcoming family and some wonderfully blackguardish behaviour. There is more than a hint of swashbuckling derring do and mystery in this tale, which adds spice to the usual romantic fare on offer. Our hero is a soldier returned from the wars, ready but not entirely willing to claim his inheritance, a mouldering pile and some grumpy relations. His battle to take his place, restore family honour and clear his name is joined by his slowly but steadily falling in love in the best, old fashioned tradition of not having clue what he is doing until it is too late!
Gervase Frant, seventh Earl of St Erth returns from the war with Napoleon to reclaim his estates in Lincolnshire he finds that he is not at all welcome. His step mother favours her own son, Martin and his cousin Theo has been managing the estates very capably in his absence. In fact they wish Gervase had not come through Waterloo unscathed.

Gervase himself is a quiet, mild-mannered individual and his family underestimate his abilities because of this. Staying in the house in the absence of her parents who are travelling is Miss Drusilla Morville who is concerned by the tensions in the household and finds herself endeavouring to keep the peace. She is even more worried when accidents seem to keep happening to Gervase.

Part mystery, part romance this is an entertaining story set in Georgette Heyer's signature period of the Regency. It has all the wit and charm of her other Regency novels with an interesting and intriguing hero and a practical and down to earth heroine. I hadn't re-read this book for many years but it has lost none of its charm in the intervening period.
on 7 March 2016
I loved this novel and I rank it as high as The Toll House, The Talisman Ring and The Grand Sophy - to quote but a few of the Heyer novels which I love best. One of the main reasons why The Quiet Gentleman is one of my favourite is because it brings forward a quiet, unobtrusive and intelligent couple: Gervase, the 7th Earl of Erth and Drusilla Morville, an apparently plain girl with very little to recommend her by way of feminine appearance and casual speech. Yet, her wits are about her and she slowly wins the Earl's heart. The plot is good too, with murder attempts all the way through.
on 13 May 2015
This goes into my list of favourites. This is a story about a man who doesn't have to be a Corinthian or a Nonpareil, to be an outstanding person, Heyer's characterisation in this book is extremely good
on 23 May 2014
I have read all Georgette Heyer's historical novels previously however it was nice to revisit this one on my Kindle. I love her style of writing one gets a real feel for the fashion and manners of that period in history.
on 20 July 2012
I must say from the start this is my 5th book from this author and I like them all. So I'm biased to start with. Found this author when I bought 'Lady Sophie' for my wife, she didn't get on with style of language. Being Victorian speak. I loved it though. This book is a great fun read with the not so obvious love interest to begin with, but soon develops. There is a good plot line that had me fooled right to the end, and the obvious love finds out for the right people. A minor point now being I've got 45 more books to plough through to complete Heyer's set. Looking forward to that. If you like a 'Pride and Prejudice' book, this author is for you.
on 8 March 2013
I enjoyed this book but then I knew I would as all Georgette Heyer's books are well written and excellently plotted.Although described as a romance it does have an element of mystery about it and I did guess "whodunnit" long before it was revealed but for all that it still held my interest to the very end.
on 27 November 2013
I didn't enjoy the storyline as much as although there was a bit of romance it was a who dun it which was okay but I couldn't really take to the characters. I have read it before but usually leave it and choose one of my favourites instead.