on 19 October 2000
Having read "derek jarman's garden" I felt that I needed to find out more about this man who's integrity was absolute, and above all, who's humanity beamed out of all that the touched. So I read "Chroma". This work is poiniant in the extreme when you concider that not only was Jarman's health fast deteriorating, but that as a result of the AIDS virus, he was going blind.
Here, in thuis book, we see Jarman concider the nature of each colour of the spectrum (including brown) by means of drifting freely in and out of quotes from various figures in history. This book is nothing if not well researched! In this respect Jarman shows us what he sees in terms of the resonance of Colour. It is moving.
The chapter on blue is taken from his greatest film, "Blue". It acts as testament to the man,and to his abiding humanity.
Buy this book, and learn from one of Britain's most humane of intects!
on 30 May 2014
I was prompted to browse at books written by Derek Jarman, having watched a brief video remembering him on the 20th anniversary of his death. I tried to make this book last as long as possible, as it was such a wonderful journey. Each chapter given a colour, provoked a sensory meditation, and a trip back in time, on occasions. Littered with poetic/ literary quotations, passages from botanical guides, etc, this book is a treasury of information. Jarman was eclectic beyond my imagination, he must have been the most fascinating and stimulating company to be with. I am now reading his "Modern Nature" and am happy because it has more pages than "Chroma"!....the journey is continuing and it's an absolute pleasure to pick up and read books like these. Can't recommend it enough!
on 3 August 2013
Rarely does an artist book really connect with me but Jarman's personal observations are touching and universal. The stories behind the colours will make any artist smile and nod along!
on 24 January 2013
this is one of my favourite books - it's beautiful, colourful (but of course), and insightful to the period he was living in. i don't think this is just a gay book, but a very useful descriptive book for any artists/writers who want to find our more about colours.
on 22 February 2014
touching, thoughtful, musings on colour. Whether you are an artist or just interested in his films and his views (I come under both) this is lovely dip in book.
on 4 June 2015
Excellent packaging , excellent quality as described it is a wonderful book
and it arrived faster than I expected thank you
on 17 November 2015
Great book .
on 12 March 2014
I was disappointed with the presentation of this book. The previous owner had written notes in pen and underlined words in pen. This did not make it suitble to sell on and has spoilt my appreciation of the text.
on 25 July 2014