Customer reviews

My son (10) isn't very good at reading, so I read these Astrosaurs books to him at bedtime. He really enjoyed them and so we have bought all of the series (8 books at present) to encourage him to like books as much as his Playstation 2, TV and DVD's. Most books we have are shared with his 12 year old sister, so he appreciated a good book aimed at young boys. The sci-fi stories are quite good (we are Dr Who, StarWars, Dinotopia, and New Captain Scarlet fans) and you get the boys top favourite (dinosaurs) thrown in as well. The only problem with them is that Steve Cole can't write them quick enough - and the SciFi content of the stories is improving with each new book.

The series follows the space adventures of a troupe of vegetarian dinosaurs (they escaped the meteor hit 50 million years ago by leaving Earth in spaceships). Captain Teggs and his crew, Gypsy, Arx and Iggy are no ordinary dinosaurs - they are Astrosaurs! They fly through space in the Dinosaur Space Service starship, the DSS Sauropod, keeping the peace in the vegetarian sector of the Jurassic Quadrant. They also patrol the neutral VegMeat zone to defend against the inhabitants of the notorious Carnivore Sector. Plus they are explorers, who boldly go where no fern chewing reptile has boldly gone before.

This is the first book of the excellent series. In order the books are Riddle of the raptors, The hatching horror, The seas of doom, The mind swap menace, The skies of fear, The space ghosts, Day of the dino-driods, and The terror bird trap. More are due to be published this year.

In this book newly promoted Teggs and his crew are transporting the sector's top vegetarian athletes to the Great Dinosaur Games at Planet Olympus. Suddenly a Raptor Deathship appears and attacks the DSS Sauropod, and a Raptor boarding party kidnapps two of the best athletes. But there's more to the Raptors' plot than meets the eye, so can Captain Teggs solve their rascally riddle in time? Like the rest of the series, the book it is suitably tense in places for little ones.

They are best read in order. My son says "Like the other books it was cool, I liked the characters and the pictures (the reading books are filled many good line drawing illustrations). I also liked the cut-out cards at the front". I would think the books would suit any pre-teen boy older than four, who appreciates space travel (probably up to age 12). I also enjoyed reading them out loud. There are surprisingly few good books aimed squarely at young boys about, so highly recommended. Also try 'The tentacled terror' plus the 'Horrid Henry', 'Seriously silly stories', `The demon headmaster' and the US 'Captain Underpants' series of books.
on 26 June 2009
We bought book 1 for his 7th birthday, which sat around for quite some time, we read the first chapter to him, little interest, then one day he picked it up himself, he devoured it in 2 days and came up panting and asking for more, we bought the rest of the series and his pace increased. We've done all of the series', have gone through the Academe and have started others by this author. I credit this series with being the embryo of my sons reading. Generally an easy read but with some more difficult words in there to help develop the reading vocabulary. 6 year old's just read this first book and is SO proud of himself.
on 22 February 2005
I really enjoyed this book about the adventures that Dinosaurs have being Astronauts. I kept wanting my Mum to read me another chapter to see what happened next. I think the planet names are funny. I like the cool cards you can collect in each book and I can't wait to get the next book. I would recommend this book to other 7 year boys.
My son (aged 6) received the whole series of Astrosaurs for Christmas. He has been reading Dinosaur Cove himself and loving it, so we started this first book of the Astrosaurs series as a bedtime story; me reading to him. It has been a real hit, and he keeps swiping the book to read ahead (mostly because he is rationed to 1 or 2 chapters every night!).

Highly recommended sci-fi dinosaur series. I think most little boys (aged 5-9 or so) would enjoy these, either reading themselves (would suit readers in Year 2 or older; probably a bit much for most Year 1 children), or having it read to them.

I also highly recommend the Dinosaur Cove series; unlike astrosaurs (where the dinosaurs are sophisticated and advanced space-travelling creatures living far across the galaxy) these books are about dinosaurs as the animals we know and love - reached by 2 8 year old boys through a time portal in a cave. Both series will appeal to dinosaur-keen children.
on 27 October 2008
I have really struggled to find books for my sons of 8 and 6 to read and these books are fantastic. My 8 year old has been reading them on his own and as there are so many I get the next one as a treat whenever he has done well at something! There are so few books for boys and as a teacher I would really recommend anyone with sons of this age group to get them as stocking fillers etc....
on 6 September 2007
By William Chappell age 9
I think this book is really good, I think Arx is my fave character because he's so brainy!
I would recommend it for 9 year old boys
on 25 April 2005
I think it's amazing. I liked chapters 2 and 3 because I think it's very funny when the Raptors kidnap the Stegocerus athletes. I think children who really like space and dinosaurs would like this book, because it's a really good subject if they like those two things.
on 25 May 2008
This was one of the last books of Astrosaurs that I read, so by then I knew lots of stuff in it, from the other books. The books are relatively easy to read, but they're extremely funny, especially this first one. Top marks from me. (Kit, Age 8)
on 18 October 2010
This is the series that got my son hooked on reading! He loved them at 5, he still reads them regularly at 8 and I regularly find them in his big sisters bed! The Astrosaurs series make great first free reading books with wacky adventures and laugh out loud one liners that children love to read again and again - definitely one of the best investments I have ever made.
on 30 September 2007
I realy like these books because they are so cool to read.I have only two
of the books so I look forward to geting the rest.I think they are all going to be very cool.