The Midden
Format: Paperback|Change

HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 26 July 2014
The last time I read this was when I was in my teens, and I borrowed it from my dad, and I must admit that it is still funny all these years later. In today’s world and terrorism this is still quite current, especially when it is exposed at the college Henry Wilt works at, that some of the courses could lead to terrorist ideals. It makes you think about the recruiting going on by terrorist organisations in such places, that we here of. This is the second novel in the Wilt series, and was first published in 1979.

After the escapades in the first novel ‘Wilt’ we find that he has now moved home with his wife and that they have quadruplets (all girls) and he is now Head of Liberal Studies. The wife, Eva Wilt is currently into alternative medicines and self-sufficiency.

As Wilt gets embroiled in an incident at the college, which centres on a video made of simulated sex with a crocodile, at home he is lusting after the lovely female German that Eva has taken in as a lodger. Of course, in Wilt’s world nothing ever runs smoothly and he soon finds himself caught up in international terrorism. If catching his manhood in a rose bush whilst trying to take a leak isn’t enough, then terrorists taking hostages in his house, and the Police and Special Forces encamped around the perimeter is surely more than a person can take.

Follow the Wilt family in this hysterical novel as they prove more than a match for the Police, Special Forces, and most definitely terrorists. Even Inspector Flint who can’t forgive Wilt for their last encounter has to doff his hat this time in admiration. This is very funny and quite well observed and is still a joy to read.
2 people found this helpful
on 4 May 2012
Having been introduced to Tom Sharpe's novels via reading 'the throwback',(which was excellent! I couldn't stop laughing at the antics of protagonist Lockhart Flawse)and having read 'Porterhouse Blue' which was a parody of traditions in further education establishments, I thought I'd try the 'Wilt' novels, and, true to form, protagonist Henry finds himself stumbling into one bizarre situation after another. Despite now having gone up in the world, the reason for his sudden wealth is made clear in book one, 'Wilt', Henry still has his mundane,pedestrian job at the tech, but his attraction towards the new au pair who has rented the top floor flat of his home,sparks off another farcical foray, when the mysterious au pair isn't what she seems. A very funny novel, although I felt the Throwback was better, and a real road trip for the dictionary language wise, which is where the kindle really is a Godsend.I gave it four stars because, while hilarious, I felt that the plot was a little far fetched, otherwise, it's an entertaining read!
|0Comment|Report abuse
I read the Wilt books years ago as a teen and loved them. I picked this one up in a lull remembering nothing of the plot but just remembering laughing out loud on the bus on my way to school.

I had completely forgotten just how great Tom's book are. I read the first in a couple of days. Devoured the second and I am now reading the third. And I've swapped the bus for a train and I am still laughing out loud in public.
on 27 December 2013
Although the book was second hand and in very good condition as promised, the content however was a lot to be desired. I always (in the eighties) used to read Tom Sharpe books and found them extremely funny. Wilt, Riotous Assembly, The Throwback (magnificent!!) etc. but unfortunately this left me cold. I did persevere till the end but I still thought it not one of his best efforts. Either I have lost my sense of humour or he has lost the plot.......as indeed I did halfway through.
on 31 May 2013
This is a brilliant book. Not many books make me laugh until I cry but this one did. I am working my way through the series of 'Wilt' books and loving every minute of it. The way they are written is great and you can imagine the funny things in them actually happening. They are not things you would think 'Oh that would not happen'.
If you have not tried any of these books yet, then I would say don't wait any longer. Get one now and you will be hooked . They are all great. There is a sequence to them though so it is worth reading them in order.
on 12 March 2013
Once you get into the book, it starts to move at a frantic pace. It is typically Tom Sharpe, he cannot be mistaken for any other writer.
The plot is simple but, the clever writing, the characters and the situation is brilliant.
I only gave the book 4 stars because, the narrative can be quite lengthy at times. Don't let that stop you buying it, as it is "crazily"
belly laughing at times.
DON'T read this on a plane or train as, other passengers will think you're off your head sitting laughing out loud, for apparently nothing.
on 20 March 2017
Great read, Tom Sharpe is hilarious, you've got to read his books
on 19 August 2017
Great author and very funny as usual
on 19 May 2014
I love this book! It is perfectly written and the story is excellent. I don't want to talk about the storyline as with other reviewers they give too much away. But all's to say, Wilt and Eva rent their spare room out to a young woman who enrols on a course at Wilt's college. All isn't what it seems with this woman as Wilt is about to find out when Inspector Flint has the misfortune of meeting up with him again.

A thoroughly enjoyable read from end to end.
on 9 October 2017