The Grand Sophy
Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 June 2018
Another of Georgette Heyer's well loved tales. I do however, have issues with the Americanisation of this book; presumably connected to the conversion from print. 'Grey' becomes 'gray' and however irritating, it is acceptable.
What's not, is on page 216 (around 66%) the sentence 'He was not one to BURK a clear issue'. This puzzled me so I looked up the word in the embedded Kindle dictionary. This word is apparently rhyming slang for a very impolite and non acceptable English word. Sacrilege in a well loved teddy bear of a book
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 February 2013
The story of an unusually self-possessed young lady, who spent her childhood following her widowed diplomat father around the globe, sent to stay with her aunt's family to make her come-out is my all-time favourite Georgette Heyer novel.

No one is prepared for a young woman with quite so much self-command and organisational zeal as Miss Stanton-Lacy. Least of all, her rather disapproving older cousin.

This isn't one of Heyer's `bigger' plots. There's no major historical event impacting directly upon the plot and characters (as, e.g. 'An Infamous Army'), nor any particularly large-scale drama. Instead, this is a more private, family-centred novel that relies more upon a delicious blend of character and wit combined with Heyer's impeccable understanding of the language and mores of her chosen time period.

There's plenty of well-paced humour (often at the expense of pompous beaux, condescending fiancées, and a rather splendidly idle Spanish lady), but the pivotal character is our unconventional yet always likeable heroine, who contrives to rescue her family from the consequences of their various errors in judgment. Miss Stanton-Lacy is certainly not afraid of using highly unorthodox methods to achieve her ends.

The Grand Sophy indeed!
5 people found this helpful
on 29 September 2016
This is the first historical romance that I have read. My review is spoiler free.

The style of the language took a little bit of getting used to at first but already I've grown to love it. As a result of enjoying this book so much, I will definitely be reading more of Georgette Heyer's.

I love the detail in it and there is a sprinkling of humour through the story. A great cast of characters.

As I wasn't sure what to expect before I began reading it (other than it being a historical romance) I'm so glad that I did choose it.
on 11 January 2018
Love the writing and the wit in these books. In the Grand Sophy I like the way that attitudes and pomposity are crafted, human emotions and actions are relevant in every age but so much easier to read in an age other than our own. I find her books both illuminating and refreshing and a great distraction on tube journeys and lunch breaks!
on 27 March 2018
This is one of my most favorite books, I have read it countless times and still giggle at the repartee wishing I could remember such quick deadpan witty responses. Georgette Heyer is a master at capturing the Regency life. I guarantee anyone who reads this book will just love it.
I have no hesitation in giving it 5 stars.
on 14 March 2015
What can I say? I read Georgette Heyer when I was at School (late 60s). I have passed on that love of her writing to my daughter.

Together, we must have gone through several sets of Heyers. Each time we steel ourselves and send her books to the charity shops, we end up replacing them.

I prefer her light hearted, amusing Regency romances/comedies, of which this is one. I think she must have been the precursor of chick lit! I believe that you will either love her, or wonder what all the fuss is about.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 May 2018
Another to add to my Kindle collection - I really enjoy these well written historical romances. Yes, they are light but they are pleasing, non-stressful and provide an escape from all the bad news in the world.
on 22 March 2018
I have all Georgette Heyer regency romance books for many years but I cannot read the small print anymore. I was so pleased to get her books on Kindle for the special offers of 99p. I can now read them again! In big print! The Grand Sophy is one of her best..such an enjoyable read.
on 22 May 2015
Sophy is a young, very self confident young woman. She goes to stay with her aunt in London while her only parent (father) is away. She soon gets to know her cousins and is soon busy re-organising their lives. Cecelia is in love with a self centered poet, Hubert is in debt and daren't tell his autocratic elder brother. This brother, Charles is engaged to a highly principled young woman who is a thorn in the sides of the young family being straight laced and critical. Sophy sorts it all out incurring Charles's anger all the way!!! However, it's happy endings all round in the end!!
on 3 September 2012
It's a while since I've read Georgette Heyer and for some reason I took it into my head to top up my Heyer levels - I wasnt disappointed.
The characters are enthralling and MS Heyer has masterly control over their development - from the indominatable Sophy to the prigish Eugenia, from the tearaway Hubert to stalward Charles, all are believable to the point you want to bang their heads together.
Two things stood out for me: firstly that Sophy was so sure of herself, manipulated the situation between Cecy and her poet, then realised she was wrong and formed a new plan - and the other was the wonderfully comedic resolution at the end with all the comings and goings but a HEA for all involved.
Highly recommended.