Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 May 2017
I re read this story twice since I received it last month and each time discovered something new to enjoy. The Regency period is impeccably researched by Ms Heyer, and never fails to impress. The first time I read this I did not fully appreciate the impressive detail to even the smallest aspect of the characters' speech, dress, transport and locations, even the locations and addresses of the characters were well researched. It would be easy to believe this story written by Jane Austin as it was so authentic. I enjoyed the slow romance of this story, and the developing relationships of the main characters; the veiled disapproval of the decadence of the Regent and his brothers was interesting, and the increased menace threatening the central characters gave spice.
This is a book I will enjoy again
VINE VOICEon 15 August 2015
I thought this book was absolutely excellent - well-researched, elegant and witty. It is essentially a love story, set in the early nineteenth century, ie during the Regency period, but is so much more than a light romance. The storyline includes the fashionable world of the then celebrities and follows them for a year in London, Brighton, the country and the boxing matches. The Peninsular War is touched upon, and there is an intriguing mystery involved.

Thoroughly absorbing and entertaining.

Suitable for those who enjoy really well researched romance with more to it than just the love story. Not suitable for those looking for Book 3 in the Alastair-Audley series; whilst the hero of this book is one of the Audley family, - Book 3 in the Alasdair/Audley series is 'The Infamous Army'.
on 18 May 2017
Apart from Jane Austen you cannot beat a Georgette Heyer for a regency novel. I have just re read Regency Buck and it remains one of my favourites.
Nearly everyone knows that GH is the doyenne of historical fiction. This is one of my favourites - cool, supercilious hero and self-possessed heroine spar wonderfully amid the splendour of the season in London and Brighton.
on 15 April 2017
Georgette Heyer's writing gives the reader an authentic taste of the social history of the time, with its social customs and dialogue between the characters.
on 8 November 2015
the best i have read for a long time quite gripping in a way though not scary bedtime reading
on 14 April 2017
well worth a read
on 19 August 2017
lovely story
on 7 May 2013
You can't touch this author when it comes to the details of the period from politics to dressing and everything else. Hr description is so vivid, reading her books literally takes you into that era. That said, this to me wasn't one of her best.

The heroine is unlike other heroines I've read by this author. I felt she was quite immature, forever quarrelling with the hero and lacking common sense which is usually the strong point of Georgette's heroines. She came across to me as a spoilt, rich, beauty with hardly any sense and I found her unnecessary arguments with the hero so tiring I had to skip quite a few pages. I've read much better from this author!!
on 20 May 2001
I have read all of Georgette Heyer's books, and Regency Buck remains my favorite -- after a few dozen readings! The mysterious plot, the wonderful dialogue, the splendid Regency settings, the chemistry between the impulsive heroine and the sardonic hero -- all these add up to a Regency masterpiece and the ultimate rainy night comfort read!