Customer reviews

Caesar (Masters of Rome)
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 6 August 2016
Things have finally reached boiling point in Rome accentuated by the absence of the First Man, Julius Caesar. His violent campaigns against the Gauls which cause the rising under Vercingetorix place both wealth and loyal legions in his hands. The optimate opposition in Rome see the risks but perceive themselves as powerful enough to treat Caesar badly and manoeuvre Pompey into being their stalking horse. By this stage in Colleen McCullough's series we are heading into the better known areas of Roman history, but the story continues to have pace and drive.
2 people found this helpful
on 4 May 2015
Again the political intrigue was more fascinating than I wanted it to be. Unable to keep track of many of the characters involved but this is due to my age more than anything. Caesar is indeed a God on Earth. He embodies all the manly virtues but wears them without arrogance. He exudes a power that, at this stage, he wields in a responsible and moral manner. As his power grows will he become like Gaius Marius or Sulla. Will power consume and corrupt him till he believes that his dictatorship will be the best way forward for Rome. I cannot bear to move on to the next book at this stage. Colleen McCullough exhausts me.
on 2 March 2014
Having read all the books in the "Masters of Rome" series...many of which I obtained when in USA due to lack of availability here in UK I was really pleased to see them on the Kindle at last and bought the lot which I am happily reading in sequence....Caesar like all the books can be read as a stand alone book but its is far better to read in sequence...What Mz McCullough has done is Novelized History and brought the people who lived then and the events back to life...Novelizing History is only ok IF as Mz McCullough has done ensured that the timelines and the events as well as customs & Laws of the time are adhered to...in fact I could recommend any serious student of the history of Rome to read these novels as they give a very accurate description of events that led Rome from being a republic and how individuals came to the forefront such as Julius Caesar, Pompey etc to end up with an Emperor.
on 27 February 2015
Colleen McCullough is an amazing writer and was able to breathe new fire into known ancient historical events, filling the gaps in the dry facts with passion, emotions and other expressions of the human condition.

I read every book in the series, and was captured in the world Dr. McCullough had woven. When I was done, I was so sad that the adventure was over.
I would love to read any historical novel written by Dr. McCullough, and I recommend this series to anyone who likes classic civilizations, and historical novels.
on 15 September 2017
Came late to this series.... couldn't stop reading them.... brilliant.
on 14 October 2017
A truly amazing book - I have read the series several times now - the Gallic campaign possibly the pinnacle of Caesars life is related in great detail.
on 2 April 2015
Brilliant - so good I orrdered the rest of the series. She gives an in-depth knowledge of the characters and period, which must have been gained by a tremendous amount of research, and I found this easy to read, despite the fact that it is a long book.
on 11 May 2017
This again follows the marvelous story
on 4 September 2016
Read all her books I thoroughly enjoyed them all
on 5 March 2016
Excellent book and well written.