Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 April 2008
This book is a real return to form by one of my favourite authors. John King is at his best for me writing about the generation he knows and this look at the Skinhead way of life takes me back to his early works of Headhunters, Football Factory and England Away. This is not the tabloid stereotypical view of the racist thug but a truthful view of a cult that has lasted many years and is still going strong. The story revolves around three generations of one family. Terry, the elder statesman, an old school skinhead with a love for classic Ska music who likes to do things right and is still trying to come to terms with the loss of his wife in a tragic accident; Ray, Terry's nephew, a lover of Oi music and a bit of a loose cannon with a violent temper, and Lol, Terry's son, a lover of American punk and living his life to the full. All three live for their football, their music and their mates. The charcters are strong and believable, you really care about what happens to them. The plot has many twists and turns in it that have you smiling one minute and in dispair the next. The musical references throughout the book are well researched and had me seeking out some old albums to listen again to tunes I had loved but had forgotten all about. John King kept us waiting for the release of this book but the wait has been well worth it as this is a cracker.
on 13 February 2010
I have read all of John King's books and this is my least favourite of his. I have found in the past with his books that even if you are not into the scene of the book, you can still enjoy the book due to the english language and humour. For example: I am not into football, but I really enjoyed his earlier books which had a lot of football in them.
This book seems like it is purely aimed at people that were into the skinhead scene, constantly quoting music and bands from the scene. Also the book does not really seem to go anywhere until the last few chapters.
John King's writing has changed through time and I think his books are losing the humour that I enjoyed before.
on 13 January 2011
read the book and passed it onto a mate at work with similair mod/skin background as myself.

thought it was an excellent read to be honest and i think john's use of characters and the relationship between them, a clear love for his friends/family and deceased wife said more to me than page after page of footbal violence [although cant have a book on skinheads without some]a nice heart warming read to be honest, about very human emotions and concerns.
on 9 February 2014
I enjoyed this book immensely. The characters were authentic and likable. The book is a great representation of what I consider being a skinhead is all about. I could identify with both the characters of Terry and Ray. I think I land somewhere in the middle between the two personally. The story is provocative, and I found myself always looking forward to my next opportunity to pick up the book again. I especially liked the way the author depicted Ray, his conflicts, and his views of patriotism versus nationalism. Highly recommended.
on 1 October 2009
Being a fan of King's pevious books when I bought this I was expecting a replicate of the football trilogy/Human punk, I needn't have worried as the author almost tells a story about himself although as with most books it'll have some parts that are far fetched.
Before I end the review fans of King's previous books will notice that characters from Footy Factory,Human punk and White Trash are mentioned in parts of this book.
on 23 March 2013
Skinheads is an excellent book told through the eyes of three different generations of skinheads aged 50, 40 and 15. I read a review saying that it got confusing with the different shifts of times and places but personally I did not find that. It was nice to see that all three characters were not racist at all and two of the characters not violent and had no time for violence instead having a respect for people. The book was also a good insight for me into the music scene of skinheads not only the ska scene, which I already knew quite a bit about but the oi street punk scene which I knew very little about. Anybody wanting an insight into skinhead culture as oppose to the neo nazi side should read this book.
on 26 December 2008
I've not read any of John King's other books -- the implicitly violent titles put me off (I'm a football supporter and it annoys me to read the tripe that's often written about football violence in the media). Perhaps I'm wrong and I should read John's other books... but this book is good, however. Although the plot is far-fetched in places, and the names of the chief protagonists are daft ('Terry English', 'Hawkins' etc -- and Terry's Dad is, predictably, a war hero named 'George English') it sets out a reasonably accurate and well-researched account of the initial skinhead period of the 1960s -- at least it is an initial guide to skinhead reggae releases that you may wish to buy :-) You end up caring about the characters. Unexpectedly good stuff, important history and an essential antidote to the way in which skinheads have been portrayed in the media. Makes you proud to be a skin once more.
on 14 December 2010
another fantastic novel from the pen of john king - a marvelous left wing working class perspective - brilliantly put together in the long line of john king stormers also rec. `football factory` headhunters and england away john king gets into the skin of his characters and brings them off the page
on 2 January 2011
Coming from suburban west London I not only recognised but know many of the locations, boozers etc in this book. No reference to the Queen Vic, Ealing though? I felt quite nostalgic reading some of the chapters set in the past. And the lead character, Terry, you can't help but like - especially the stuff covering his relationship with April. But some things just didn't ring true: an all-white geezers mini-cab firm in west London/Slough in the 2000s? I thought John King had covered the Chelsea Aggro stuff extensively elsewhere? Did we need Football Factory regurgitated to this degree? The Hamborough Tavern stuff - he seem to have a pretty accurate account, though I think he's being a little "rose-tinted spectacles-ish" in his retrospective view of the political leanings of early '80s skinheads. An entertaining read nonetheless. If you like this book and haven't read his "Human Punk" then you are missing out - that's a great book.
on 16 May 2012
This book by John King is a great read for anyone who has been around the Skinhead scene wether it was 69 79 or the eighties revival, there is something interesting for us all.