Customer reviews

on 8 May 2018
Leslie Thomas has the ability to capture exactly the feelings one would experience in a variety of situations. This novel had me involved from the opening chapter to the conclusion. He certainly played on my emotions through the fortunes and misfortunes of the characters in this war time story. I had forgotten what a great writer Thomas was and this is up there with many of his other books. Highly recommended
on 9 July 2015
Typical Leslie Thomas, amusing, poignant and reminiscent of an age now gone.
All his characters can be identified with, and the storyline reflects the issues of that time.
on 23 March 2013
I enjoy Leslie Thomas's writing. His books don't involve the gung ho hero type but are well written stories about the people from the sidelines who contribute to the big story, heros in their own right. Mr Thomas is a tremendous wordsmith.
2 people found this helpful
on 7 March 2014
Usually read a book a fortnight but finished this one in a couple of days as I found it difficult to put down.
on 15 January 2013
Typical Thomas - full of great characters and amusing incidents. Perhaps a bit too much like The Magic Army and not quite as good as The Dearest and the Best, but very enjoyable all the same. If you like "our Leslie", you will like this.
2 people found this helpful
on 18 May 2015
A wonderful look at England that few of us consider during WWII
on 16 April 2014
A typical Leslie Thomas story of wartime U.K. which is my era. I really enjoy these stories of his, they take me back to my early days in the services. Very nostalgic.
on 22 March 2009
A pleasant easy read, typical of the author.
on 16 September 2014
Disappointing, characters lack the warmth and depth that one usually associates with Leslie Thomas' novels.
on 10 January 2013
Leslie Thomas is always good for a first class read and this one is as good as all of his books.
One person found this helpful