Customer reviews

on 20 March 2007
This book is intended for three-year-olds; my nephew is a bright boy, and I got it for his fourth birthday, which I felt was a bit of a risk, especially as his mother, the married sister, had been telling me that he has to have books for five-year-olds to keep him occupied. In fact it was an instant success and now is one of his favourite books: he has to have it read to him nearly every day. This morning, during her visit to the ancestral home, his grandfather read it to him, then was made to act out the whole story with toy dinosaurs, and then I had to read it to him and act it all out as well! He was already fond of the Little Red Train books, but this is a step above them and definitely something special. As the illustrations are extremely detailed, it's also fun for the knowledgeable adult to identify the Cretaceous creatures illustrated. My nephew can already recognise plesiosaurs and monkey-puzzle trees: I saw placodonts, proganochelids, two kinds of pterosaur, two kinds of ceratopsians, belemnites, coelacanths, icthyosaurs, sauropods, hadrosaurs, the marine crocodile Metriorhynchus, bennittitales, magnolias and many other interesting things.
VINE VOICEon 11 December 2006
Wow! What a discovery - a children's dinosaur picture book with beautiful detailed illustrations depicting a Jurassic (or is it Triassic?) age. Benedict Blathwayt is a genius at illustrating, as his success with the Little Red Train series shows, and my children would be very pleased if this was the first of a dinosaur set. The dinosaurs look real, though perfectly pitched for 2-6s as not-too-scary, and they chase through hot dry vegetation, a lagoon (with a great cut-through underwater picture) and off a cliff. It is then that Fin the small dinosaur, who is being chased by bigger ones, discovers the power of flight. This is probably a historic moment in evolutionary biology and the book could teach a wonderful lesson about the evolution of birds from dinosaurs. A simpler lesson that could be drawn is the straightforward one - everyone has a special talent for something and bigger is not necessarily better etc. However my boys (2&4) are happy just marvelling at the pictures and enjoying the straightforward chase story. Encore!
on 14 April 2010
I bought this book for my son for his sixth birthday purely because he has all the other books by this author (Little Red Train series). He thoroughly enjoys reading this. It's not over-challenging but the story is interesting with plenty of opportunity to "guess" what might happen next.
on 18 October 2013
We borrowed this book from library and my daughter (at the time 4 yo) made me read it at least 50 times. Now i`ve bought it for my nephew. Good story, beautiful detailed pictures. Benedict Blathwayt is a talented man!
on 8 August 2009
What a lovely book, good story, great pictures and my 4 year old loves it. He's really into dinosaurs at the moment as well.
on 31 August 2014
This book has 2 stars purely for the art, which is lovely. However, both the story and prose are entirely uninspired. I think the importance of beautiful and even exciting language and story for young children cannot be overemphasised, to foster a love for stories, language and writing. This does none of these things. It's a great shame. I would recommend that the writer sticks to illustrating, other's work or improving his own actual writing.
on 23 November 2014
Love this book
on 5 December 2012
This is a Christmas gift for our granddaughter, it was on her wish list so won't know until she gets it whether she's pleased with the book.