Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 January 2008
... 'I shall make some friends."...in more ways than one as it turns out!

By the author of EGG DROP &THE ADVENTURES OF THE DISH AND THE SPOON, Mini Grey brings us another story, entitled ‘BISCUIT BEAR’, winner of the ‘Nestle Smarties Gold Prize in 2004’.

Horace's usual routine changes, simply by a lump of pastry his Mum gives him & a teddy-shaped biscuit cutter! The adventures of 'Biscuit Bear' begin, with a surprise ending.

An attractive and durable paperback cover opens to 32 pages in the popular 2-page spread format, thoughtfully illustrated throughout. The text is in a variety of fonts, snaking and tumbling about the pages, adding to the story.

Main text example:

'But today, Horace's Mum gave him a biscuit cutter in the shape of a bear to use.
Horace stamped out a pastry bear and gave it currant eyes and a nose.
Horace's Mum put it in the oven to cook...
Twenty minutes later the biscuit bear was golden-coloured and smelt lovely, and Horace wanted to take a bite but...'

An opportunity for the audience to join in with repetition on the words:

"No, Horace," said Horace's Mum, "you..."

...as Horace's various attempts to eat his biscuit are thwarted.

ooOoo

From the back cover:

‘When Horace bakes a biscuit in the shape of a bear, little does he know that his edible treat is going to turn into Biscuit Bear! For in the middle of the night, when all is quiet, that is exactly what happens, and Biscuit Bear decides that it is time he made some friends of his own.
So, with flour, sugar and butter he does just that. In fact, he makes a whole circus of friends and the fun begins...’

ooOoo

~ ‘Roll up! Roll up! One night only! Biscuit Bear’s Circus is performing in the kitchen!

~ Scream with surprise as our aeronaut is fired from the ketchup bottle!

~ Gasp as the Strongbear raises the rolling pin....’

I love the picture of Biscuit Bear in a pinny, stood on a pile of cookery books with ‘Perfect Pastry’ on the top, ‘Cordon Bleu’ on the bottom, complete with a wooden spoon in a retro blue & white bowl, and blobs of dough everywhere!

A little bit different from the norm, this story offers great scope for joining in, discussion and artwork opportunities, if not a real biscuit baking day!

The story also comes complete with CD.
review image review image review image review image
on 31 July 2015
My daughter loves this book! Mini Grey is a fantastic author; we know this book inside out but still love it. Needless to say, we have cooked many biscuit bears and friends at my daughter's request!
on 27 November 2006
This is one of those books which my daughter (aged 7) has had from the library again and again ... now it's on the Christmas list. It's simple yet sophisticated and has a lovely quirky humour as well as multiple illustrations that dance around the page and text that circles and changes typeface in tune with the story. It's not all sugary sweetness and light and endures better for that reason: Biscuit Bear escapes being eaten and stages a circus in the kitchen only to see his circus performers demolished by the arrival of the family dog, who likes biscuits as well. He himself is a survivor, however, and finds a safe home as the everlasting star of the 'Golden Bun' bakery display. My daughter loves it all. If your child likes this, try also Mini Grey's The Adventures of the Dish and the Spoon - another favourite here, which will equally delight parents who are familiar with old movies ...
on 3 May 2012
This book is fantastic. My 3 year old is addicted to it. We first got it from the library and thought it was a bit ugly and odd, but once read we loved it and had to get our own copy. The pictures are great and the story lovely. I would recommend it for any child, but especially for one that loves cooking.
on 13 September 2008
I bought this book after spotting a Dad reading it to his little boy and although I couldn't read any of the text, liked the look of the illustrations, so bought it. I wasn't disappointed. It's one of those books that you don't tire of reading to your child. It is a fun story about the night-time adventure of a biscuit bear who cooks up a batch of biscuit friends. I started reading it to my 5 year old over a year ago, and it's still one of his favourite stories. In fact, I often find him under his covers at bedtime sneaking a peak!
on 23 April 2008
This book is much loved by our three daughters (aged 2-4), who like the story but also all the little details in the illustrations (like all the interesting things Horace gets up to with a lump of dough, and the inventive decorations on the biscuit friends). Perhaps as important, the book is also interesting enough for adults to bear reading repeatedly (and as a reluctant veteran of, for example, Fifi & the Flowertots this is vital!), with nice little plays on language that grown-ups appreciate even if the children don't notice, eg. " 'I know,' thought the Biscuit Bear, 'I shall make some friends.' ".

We also have Egg Drop by the same author, but this one is their favourite.
on 19 November 2016
A fantastic story. It has suspense and is very original. I have used it in English lessons for the children to write their own stories with some similar features.
Loses one star as the book is smaller than the usual size for this kind of book.
on 13 February 2009
I bought this as a Christmas present for my 2 1/2 year old daughter for a bedtime book on the recommendations I read on Amazon.
From the moment my husband first read it to her it has become a firm favourite. So much so that my daughter even asked for us to make biscuit bears! It is a magical and enchanting but simple story with short sentences and lovely illustration which captures litte and big minds alike. Even after a few times of reading this book my daughter was able to recite back to us many of the sentences in the book. We all love it and can't see why it wouldn't be part of any young childs book collection!
on 3 February 2013
This is my 5 year old boys favourite book, we have read it so many times and I had to buy a biscuit bear cutter so we can make our own biscuit bears.
Brilliant illustrations and a great story about a boy who makes a biscuit bear and the adventures the biscuit bear has.
Really is lovely, fun and perfect for bed time as not too exciting but still fun for a 5 year old.
A book to read together and keep forever.
on 3 December 2015
My four year old loves Mini Grey's books and this is her absolute favourite. If you're looking for something a bit off beat, with a sweet ending give this a try.