on 26 June 2017
This is at times a tough read, for me, i found myself engaged but also put off by some of the long winding story telling and unusual side stories.
I'm not sure if there is something that is lost in cultural translation, but at times i never felt completely involved in the story, but found the plotting and intrigue kept me involved.
Very hard to put a finger on what i liked about this book, but i know at the end i had enjoyed the journey, although it is a long one.
on 8 December 2016
A great book! It's a book which will play on your mind for many days after reading it. I loved the sad and lonely characters plus the surreal moments. The author's style of writing is refreshing.
on 18 August 2017
The second book I have read by this author, once again could not put it down, very unusual story. I would highly recommend if you are looking for something different.
on 17 July 2017
Intriguing but at times confusing. Great for those tho don't need every little detail explained and instead value mysteries. Would recommend
on 14 August 2017
Long, but beautifully done, as one would expect from Murakami.
on 4 July 2015
An ordinary decent person, his beloved wife walks out on him, influenced by her evil brother.
Read this book !
on 9 July 2017
Begins well, looses it's way. Very very long.
on 6 January 2014
My words can't begin to do justice to this incredible and moving book. Another masterpiece from a gifted writer. Read it.
on 30 December 2010
If you have ever been (un)fortunate enough to find yourself at an art college's graduate show then you will perfectly understand my forthcoming analogy.

When those who do not possess either spiritual or mental fibre try to make Art - especially visual arts and more specefically abstract art, they invariably fail miserably. What they present may 'appear' to have form, structure and substance, and indeed, it may do so in the physical sense; but in the intellectual, spiritual, philosophical, ontological sense it is really a shell, a superficial expresion - an allusion to a world they have seen in other's Art, in galleries and in books. It is an echo of Art, but not Art itself, it is fake, a copy. When writers too, try to engage with subject matter that is clearly beyond them, they invariably fail. It is a truism that that which we are able to render (both visually and linguistically) is a direct reflection of our inner-self.

What Mura-kami has given us in this work is by no means a small thing for it is the real thing, the crown jewels and not costume jewellery. It is 1990s Coca-Cola with acid and bite and not your local supermarket cola. He has struck a firm sign-post on the literary path and has created something of true worth and value, a rock on the collective pile of literary consciousness. Like so many of his other great works (Dance, Norwegian, Hard-Boiled) he openly displays his creative and intellectual greatness, frugality and fragility, brutality and his capacity for creative story-telling that defines and re-defines boundaries.

'Wind-up' is a surreal and yet very realistic journey that shows maturity and growth. I can't think of may novels that are accomplished as this. One of Mura-kami's strengths in this particular work is the interplay of the narratives (a mode he used time-and-time-again) and also the time-frame of the piece. Mirroring real-life, he introduces characters and then lets them go. This alone is worthy of praise. Quite why film-makers and writers feel they have to 'keep' the same characters from beginning to end (unless they get killed off), is quite beyond my comprehension. It seems such an artificial construct and altogether too manufactured and contrived to give any air of authenticity to the narrative.

This work will not entertain nor interest all (which is no bad thing), but if you liked Mura-kami's 'Hard-boiled' or you are a fan of Salman Rushdie, then I wholeheartedly recommend this.
33 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 January 2011
I ordered this book as it was my next bookclub read. I usually enjoy magical realism so thought the flights of fancy and surrealness (probably not a real word!) would appeal to me. But I found this a bit disappointing, I really couldn't get into it and kept reading it as I wanted something to happen that would grip me. To me it was a slow meander that often promised something but failed to deliver. A few weeks have passed since I read it and with that distance I am prepared to accept it may not have been the right book for me at the time. Not sure I 'll rush to read another one by Murakami though.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse